High Top in the wind

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nin73
80-90 Mem No: 12406

Re: High Top in the wind

Post by nin73 »

It's really difficult to get into 3rd and in traffic it is really difficult to get out of gear. Was told it is the clutch in the way out
1988 High Top. 1.9 DG

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Sounds more like the sychro hub ... our's acted like that before it finally went. Drop the gearbox oil and see what's on the magnet of doom :o :cry: Comma SX 75-90 GL4 semi-synthetic gear oil to replace it IIRC about 4 litres.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

pionte
80-90 Mem No: 8209

Post by pionte »

Ian Hulley wrote:Sounds more like the sychro hub ... our's acted like that before it finally went. Drop the gearbox oil and see what's on the magnet of doom :o :cry: Comma SX 75-90 GL4 semi-synthetic gear oil to replace it IIRC about 4 litres.

Ian

good advice.... think it 4.5 litres from empty.
2.5 Quad Cam Scooby engine . Westfalia California 1989

nin73

Post by nin73 »

I have tried locating where to drain and then refill the gearbox oil. Still clueless!

Nothing in the Haynes manual or on you tube.
1988 High Top. 1.9 DG

pionte

Post by pionte »

have a look here mate.....http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ge ... drain_plug" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

its located in the wiki which is at the top of the page , loads and loads of useful info there...

Always always remove the filling bung first, that way you at least know that you can refill the gearbox ! they can be caroded, 25 plus years of crud can cause havoc.... spray well with penetrating fluid, plus gas is good, wd40 do a great branded product now that is easily bought in Halfords and such places that is a better penetrating fluid than standard wd40 in the blue and white cans.. Personally I would spray and leave overnight at least , then use a 17mm hex bung remover, make sure it fits perfectly, I always give it a wack with a hammer just to help free the threads, also if it is being stubborn then try tightening , this sometimes helps break the crap in the threads....then undo, if necessary work it to and fro a few times. You will be fine im sure :ok

nin73

Post by nin73 »

pionte wrote:have a look here mate.....http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ge ... drain_plug" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

its located in the wiki which is at the top of the page , loads and loads of useful info there...

Always always remove the filling bung first, that way you at least know that you can refill the gearbox ! they can be caroded, 25 plus years of crud can cause havoc.... spray well with penetrating fluid, plus gas is good, wd40 do a great branded product now that is easily bought in Halfords and such places that is a better penetrating fluid than standard wd40 in the blue and white cans.. Personally I would spray and leave overnight at least , then use a 17mm hex bung remover, make sure it fits perfectly, I always give it a wack with a hammer just to help free the threads, also if it is being stubborn then try tightening , this sometimes helps break the crap in the threads....then undo, if necessary work it to and fro a few times. You will be fine im sure :ok

thanks for that, much appreciated.
1988 High Top. 1.9 DG

nin73

Post by nin73 »

Ian Hulley wrote:
nin73 wrote: Also getting a new clutch installed whilst there as i noticed getting into 3rd gear was a little iffy.

Surely if the clutch was shot you'd have trouble getting ALL the gears ?

Save money, learn to drive a van.

Ian

Took the bus in to see the guys at Beetle Magic. Apparently the gearbox was in a right mess, all sorts of bearings mullered and bits sheared off. Clutch was fine though!! Had it replaced though whilst the gearbox was out. They knew i was desperate to have it for this weekends VW do at Poole so told me to pop in with the money next week. Will update with exactly what was wrong next week.
1988 High Top. 1.9 DG

MattBW
80-90 Mem No: 11790

Post by MattBW »

To be honest having driven both hi top and poptop versions, they are both terrible in strong winds, hitop only slightly more so.
1985 1.9TD AAZ -Starlight Interior
2015 California Beach

nin73

Post by nin73 »

MattBW wrote:To be honest having driven both hi top and poptop versions, they are both terrible in strong winds, hitop only slightly more so.

Took the old girl out at the weekend, blustering wind and she was rock solid after having the new shock and -30 springs fitted.
1988 High Top. 1.9 DG

MattBW
80-90 Mem No: 11790

Post by MattBW »

Trent Reznor fan? ;)
1985 1.9TD AAZ -Starlight Interior
2015 California Beach

nin73

Post by nin73 »

MattBW wrote:Trent Reznor fan? ;)

Yes, guilty as charged
1988 High Top. 1.9 DG

dangerousdave1229
80-90 Mem No: 4788

Post by dangerousdave1229 »

i have a factory made high top , and it was bad in winds or over taking lorrys etc . this summer i had electric power steering fitted by tim shettle in bristol, and its about a 90% cure. he explained that the poteniometer senses the front wheel movement and the electric motor corrects the steering. and it works! i find that only the hardest of blast moves the van out of line. tim can be contacted at ultimate engineering , 07810320464, kdave

elfgirl
80-90 Mem No: 12051

Post by elfgirl »

I was petrified the first time I drove my hightop on the motorway. The M11 in particular always seems bad. After a few months its still a little scary but I know what to expect and hey, it helps me feel like I'm getting some exercise.
1.9 petrol hightop Caravelle

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Power steering, electric or otherwise cannot change the basic dynamics of the van in heavy winds esp. crosswinds, though it might make it 'seem' easier to control

It's also interesting how different opinions are: from 'rock steady' to 'plain terrifying' :o

I can get more behind the latter sentiment myself, even with AVO XYZ gumma gammas :wink:

Apart from a good spoiler helping... anything to bring the C.of G. forward will also help... so don't hang half the world off your bike rack or store tons of heavy stuff at the back of your hightop.

Lowering the front slightly compared to the back also might help directional control.

Ensure you are using the right tyre pressures for the van, loading and tyres and that they are set & checked regularly.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

pionte

Post by pionte »

Just an update .

last month I had a few weeks away in the van, Devon, Dorset and Busfest so had a good opportunity to test the new suspension on the motorways.

What a difference 8) the -50 Avo's and Billies have made a huge difference to the stability at motorway speeds , It is rock steady now... obviously the slab sided nature of the van will always have an effect , basic physics ! but I was not auto lane changing anymore, or driving it like a boat ! As Jason K said earlier , cant recommend this highly enough, although he did have B6 on the Westy Cal, mine are the lower spec B4's, and I dont have power steering , but all in all mine handles nearly as well as his did which was the most sorted van I have driven .

For the money this is the best mod you can do to the van, it will improve the ride and look better .