Eberspacher, is this normal?

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

slowbus
80-90 Mem No: 3678

Eberspacher, is this normal?

Post by slowbus »

Ive had my van for about 5 months now and was resigned to my Eberspacher not working. it only seemed to blow cold air. But, now by accident ive found that if i turn on the engine on first and then turn on the Eberspacher it will blow hot air and continues to do so after i turn the engine off. I presume this isnt the normal proceedure for getting hot air. Anyone else have this problem?

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Eberspacher, is this normal?

Post by lloydy »

Sounds like it might not be getting enough voltage if it only works with engine running. Best to check the voltage at unit and leisure battery and see what you've got
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

slowbus

Post by slowbus »

Thanks Lloydy
I will look into that

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

They need at least 11.7 volts (at the unit) for the unit to ignite, otherwise all you get is cold air....

Probably down to a flat or tired leisure battery but check the fuses are clean and tight in the fuse holder (drivers B piller) the higher amp of the two.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

Also check that the wires to the eber are thick enough for the current and they are as short / as direct route as possible to the leisure battery to help decrease voltage drop.
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

slowbus

Post by slowbus »

Thanks a lot guys,
You've given me something to get on with. I'll let you know how it works out

slowbus

Post by slowbus »

i may haved sussed what's wrong. The leisure battery isn't a leisure battery it's a 41ah car battery, presumably fitted due to it's compact size and lack of space in battery box under seat. As this is needing to be rectified i'll see if this helps the Eberspacher problem

California Dreamin

As you are already aware, a 41ah battery is pretty puny as a leisure and won't give you much reserve for powering the ebber. However, in good condition it should be man enough to start and run the heating for a fair few hours before calling it a day.
However, as the leisure needs to be more substantial anyway, going for the highest capacity that will fit in the relatively small and 'low' battery box will serve you well long term and should be your first priority. As voltage drop does seem to be an issue with this setup, make sure all connections are sound especially at the fuse (drivers B post). These bullit type fuses can be problematic so clean and retension (bend the sprung terminals) so the connections top and bottom are sound.
Some users have even replaced the original wiring for heavier duty wire to minimise voltage drop over the run to the ebber as the initial 'load' draw will often drop the supply voltage too low for the unit to fire up.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

slowbus

Post by slowbus »

Thanks Martin (California Dreamin).
I've just checked connections at the battery (seem ok), and the two fuses on b-pillar, i've retensioned the springs and the fuses seem clean enough, but i think i'll go and get a packet of new ones anyway. However both fuses are the same (red 16a) is this correct.
Thanks again
John

California Dreamin

Red 16 amp for the Ebber and a white 8 amp for the fridge, just temporarily disconnect each fuse and watch the ebber LED panel to see if it is effected.
Use quality ceramic fuses and avoid the cheap plastic ones.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

NeilHarris
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by NeilHarris »

I just had my Eber fixed and the garage diagnosed that there was not enough voltage at the glowplug to get it to heat up on start up. Ive had a switch fitted near the control panel to route more voltage (not sure where from?) to ensure the plugs get hot enough.
also had problems with the circuit board and fuel pump. But the forums tend to indicate that this is fairly normal.
It appears that it is easy to get two or more things that need sorting on these heaters ?

Still - Im well pleased not to have to spend on a new one for the winter. Already had to buy a new fridge for £500 !!
Neil

'Pete' the Bluestar Cathago Multivan 1.6JX 1987. Its Blue!

slowbus

Post by slowbus »

What with christmas and all the relative expenses and time sapping family commitments, I have only just got back to taking care of my van. I have fitted a new 75ah leisure battery as this was the biggest I could find to fit in the compartment under the seat and guess what? It hasn't cured my eberspacher start up problems. Oh well, I guess a trip to the electricians to check the wiring will now need to be factored in