Filling a westy gas tank in Europe

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Filling a westy gas tank in Europe

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

I seem to be using more gas than expected. Although I haven't had a working gauge until now. Level has dropped from 80% to 35% in 10 days. We are using the fridge on full time gas and cooking one meal per day. I can't find any leaks. Is this normal consumption? I fitted a new float, gauge etc before leaving.

I tried to refill today in Croatia and the connection is different. Will any other countries be a direct fit to the tank, like Austria or Germany, or so I need an adaptor?
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Filling a westy gas tank in Europe

Post by lloydy »

I needed to refill in Europe, if you ask behind the counter they have a bag of adapters. (Well the one I used did) you need the adapter fro Germany. In two weeks using the gas for cooking and tea (I like tea) my level went from 50% to 30% if that's any help.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

ninja.turtle007 wrote:I tried to refill today in Croatia and the connection is different. Will any other countries be a direct fit to the tank, like Austria or Germany, or so I need an adaptor?

The EuroWesty (I'm assuming yours isn't a US import) tank fitting is just about Teutonic-only. Everywhere else we've been (other than UK), we've needed the same adapter. We got 'em from Gasure before we went. I don't think any of the stations we've been to have had adapters - they all looked a bit bemused at the concept.

Cooking proper meals almost every night, but only using the fridge infrequently, I reckon we get through half to two-thirds of a tank every couple of months, no more than that. I know the fridge is a bit juicier, but personally I'd treat the gauge as a rough guide only. Ours didn't work, then did, now doesn't again.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

5 European trips all between 22 to 25 days, the fridge turned on unless connected to hookup, so about 16 days permanently. Cups of tea every morning, coffee a couple of times a day, cooking a full meal at least once a day or using the BBQ take off for the Cadac.
Full tank when we go away (80%) and between 10 and 15% when we return to the UK. Not bad for over 3 weeks of constant use.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Surely a German Westfalia conversion shouldn't need any adaptors to refill in 'Germany'

Although we have holiday'd quite a few times in Europe we have always gone over with a full tank and never come close to running out.

Should be a straight fill in the fatherland! yavol...das ist good..yaa!!

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

California Dreamin wrote:Surely a German Westfalia conversion shouldn't need any adaptors to refill in 'Germany'

Martin

As I stated earlier in the fred - you don't need adaptors for the Fatherland - can't say about the requirements for the Käsefressers or the Käsekopfen.

California Dreamin wrote: Should be a straight fill in the fatherland! yavol...das ist good..yaa!!
Martin

Jawohl! Mein Hairy!
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

Thanks for the replies. So I guess I'm using about the right amount. Thinking about it, it was just under 80% when we left. So the fridge has been on constantly and we have been cooking heating water a little more often than I first thought.

We should be in Germany around Monday so can refill then.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Post by irishkeet »

Gasure sell all the adpters
http://www.gasure.co.uk/adaptors.htm
------------------------
1985 Doka 1.9 DG 4 Speed Box
---
1986 Fakefalia Syncro Subaru EJ25