Westy fridge problem

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mwheatley
80-90 Mem No: 5121

Westy fridge problem

Post by mwheatley »

Hi All,

Apologies for another fridge question! I have a 1990 lhd Westy with the Electrolux RM184 EGI fridge. The fridge has always worked on all three options, but having tested it today for the first time this year I cannot get it to work on 240v. It works fine on gas, I'm assuming it does on 12v too but haven't driven it to test yet.

I have tested the plug socket that the fridge is plugged into and this is providing power (tested by plugging Ipad in on Euro adaptor), the switch for 240v is firmly pushed in, the thermostat is turned up so not sure what else to check.

Any advice?

Many thanks.

Matt

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: Westy fridge problem

Post by AdrianC »

Could well be the heater element gone open-circuit. If you can remove the fridge (not as scary as it first seems!) It's easy to check with a multimeter, and easy to replace. I got one off eBay, a caravan breaker somewhere in the E Mids, iirc.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

The fridge has a Euro Plug socket to the left under the cutlery draw....worth checking it's firmly in place.
Otherwise I second the 230volt element is up the swanny.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

mwheatley
80-90 Mem No: 5121

Post by mwheatley »

Hi Both,

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the delay, been away in van, lpg ran out, no UK adaptor to refill it and no fridge working on leccy!! I should really get that adaptor after 6 years of ownership!

Anyway, plug is definitely plugged in, maybe it's time to get the fridge out! I did check on the drive back that it works on the leisure battery, and it does. So just the leccy that doesn't work.

Matt