problem starting

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dwayne
80-90 Mem No: 5649

problem starting

Post by dwayne »

Hey guys , got home from work tonight pulled up beside the garage to offload stuff then she wouldnt start ,I have ignition lights , The relay box in the engine bay is clicking , the earth wire is good , the leads to the solenoid looked good but I took them off and cleaned them up again still no go .

The solenoid has two blade connections right next to each other but only one as a wire connected ,the other has slight surface corrosion though no clean scratches so don;t think it has ever had a connection . ther is also the 13mm nut connection one a sleeve one a flat connecttor, solenoid does not click

should the coil make a click ? anything audible ?

It's now dark and rainy and I'm wet and muddy . I have tomorrow off to sort it out and kinda think it is the coil or solenoid is ther a way to check by reading voltages or a direct wire from battery to solenoid . thanks for help
1988 Autohomes Komet 1.9DG
DIKXEY

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Re: problem starting

Post by ermie571 »

dwayne.....pretty sure solenoid should make a noise....

you got a spare starter to try?

can you bump start it?

xx
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

dwayne

Post by dwayne »

Hi Em yeh solenoid should make a click , I will go to gsf and get a starter and solenoid tomorrow if that doesn't cure it I'll have spares and something more to go on :D , I don't mind things going wrong I get to fix them and learn about the van

few things to check for in the Wiki , will get ti sorted , luckily a neighbour with tow bar pulled me back and reversed me into the garage so nice and dry in the morning
DIKXEY

edoh
80-90 Mem No: 3974

Post by edoh »

hey up senor - have you had a chance to read these fine words of wisdom?
http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php?ti ... t+starting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hope it helps - let us know how you get on :)

ps - hello em! :)
Owner of a red T25 fixed hi top campervan - colour - spikey red - petrol - water cooled - 1.9 dg engine rhd - 1990 g reg n still going strong!-

Nicola&Tony
80-90 Mem No: 3095

Post by Nicola&Tony »

I've been having similar problems over recent months (sudden and intermittent starting problems with dash lights on but complete silence on the final turn of the key).

Have a look at California Dreaming's list of likely causes in this thread:
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... ilit=start" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you tried hitting the starter motor with a hammer whilst someone else turns the ignition key?

Tony
Looking for: window apertures for side windows, at the back of the van

T25; 1985; RHD; 1.9DG petrol / LPG; white Autosleeper high-top; Looking rusty again!

LT31; 1993; RHD; 2.4L petrol; high-top; diy camper project.

dwayne

Post by dwayne »

Morning Tony have tried the hammer trick , still not starting just been out and skinned my knuckles :evil: , gonna go to gsf now and get a new starter , will just have a look at your link to california thread

cheers bud :ok
DIKXEY

Nicola&Tony
80-90 Mem No: 3095

Post by Nicola&Tony »

Hope the shiny new starter gets you up and running again. :ok

Tony
Looking for: window apertures for side windows, at the back of the van

T25; 1985; RHD; 1.9DG petrol / LPG; white Autosleeper high-top; Looking rusty again!

LT31; 1993; RHD; 2.4L petrol; high-top; diy camper project.

dwayne

Post by dwayne »

Thanks mate , and the shiny new starter did the trick . Not too bad to change bush was a bit of a bugger easy out snapped it in half which I got out then I went to use the 12mm tap method which shattered the bush , I used an extendable mirror with torch and a cotton bud dipped in oil to retrieve the little bits .

All in all quite chuffed , and an added bonus manager in gsf recognized me and gave me trade instead of 8090 discount :D :D
DIKXEY