Noisy Alternator Bearings

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

lamb125
80-90 Mem No: 0

Noisy Alternator Bearings

Post by lamb125 »

Just fitted a new regulator in an attempt to give my alternator a new lease of life, but now I'm pretty certain the pulley end bearing is shot. The intermittent squeal is almost unbearable. Could someone point me towards a supplier please? Thanks

PS - It's the type fitted to MK1 Golfs & Polos.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: Noisy Alternator Bearings

Post by California Dreamin »

A failing bearing would produce a constant high pitched wyne not necessarily an intermittent squeal. You should be able to place a metal shaft (3/8th drive extension or screwdriver) hard against the suspected area and the otherside 'with your thumb in between' against your ear.

This maybe just a slipping belt on a highly pollished pulley.

Otherwise if this is definately a bearing it will need specialized attention to strip and replace...not impossible for the lay person but not easy without things like a vice/press etc.
Standard bearing sizes are available from your local bearing suppliers...just look in the yellow pages.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

I was just going to add that it's not unusual to hear a buzzing type noise as the new brushes wear to the shape of the worn slip rings.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

lamb125
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by lamb125 »

I found a new belt and hey presto the noise vanished! Just a tad hint of a squeal upon cold start up, but after a few mins and gentle revving nothing like I had before changing the belt.

Just need an mot now!!