Wires id. (JX engine)

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Macflai
80-90 Mem No: 4201

Wires id. (JX engine)

Post by Macflai »

Hi,

Just want to the purpose of the following wires (if temperature, oil pressure, etc). Are 7 wires coming from the same tubing loom. I know one of them, big red one, is for glow plugs.

Brown and red stripe (2 wires)
Yellow and red stripe
Green and white stripe
Green and black stripe
Yellow

TIA.
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands

Macflai

Re: Wires id. (JX engine)

Post by Macflai »

Macflai wrote:Hi,

Just want to the purpose of the following wires (if temperature, oil pressure, etc). Are 7 wires coming from the same tubing loom. I know one of them, big red one, is for glow plugs.

Brown and red stripe (2 wires)
Yellow and red stripe
Green and white stripe
Green and black stripe
Yellow

TIA.

Anyone has a 1.6Td engine? Maybe a picture/photo to reveal the mistery? Any help would be appreciated. :(
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands

Syncro G
80-90 Mem No: 3988

Post by Syncro G »

Any clues to where this loom is? Is it one of the engine bay harnesses that ends in one of them round plugs in the 'lunch box' with the glow relay in it?

Brown with red trace sounds like its going to be heading to earth fairly soon, probubly via a switch, intereour lights(guess)?
Yellow is usally something to do with the headlamps (diped beam I think), possubly one of the oil presure switches too?

I've not realy investigated the rear looms on my van, its on the to do list. From the limited pokeing around I have done it seems there are two main looms with 7 pin conectors, one for the roadlights (need to wire a trailer socket into that) and another that must do most of everything else. I'm guessing on a syncro TD that'll mean engine inc sensors, coolent pump and turbo cooler. Something interesting I did notice at the back of mine near the battery is a 3 pin plug - don't know what it does but it doesn't have enough wires to be useful for a trailer (unless its for a rear foglamp deactivate relay, though surely that would be bridged to make the lamp work) or perhaps more likely its for a cruse control vacuum pump as this is where they are mounted on a petrol model (didn't think they ever offered cruse control on a diesel) - One day I will investigate this further as I have a cruse control unit to fit and if the wires are already there that'll be handy (wonder how far towards the cab they go). I don't have access to my Bentley manual at the moment but the cruse control is in there and the colours should be the same for all markets (bentleys lighting wireing is US and very different to euro spec, though its very good for optional kit) so can't take this theory any further at the moment. I have a reaionable mid spec euro JX wireing diagram but this isn't the only plug I've spotted thats not featured in it.

Give me a known location of the conector/loom, rough idea where it looks like it goes and a genral rundown of the factory spec of the van if its a caravelle with options (if its got a few options it might well have a loom incorporating more extras never fitted, this is perticularly true of later models). I might be able to do some more headscratching then. Should come in handy when I visit the engine bay of my van soon as there some upgrades to do later in the summer (main theme of which being bye bye JXI!).
Glen Syncronaut: 113 - 1992 JX Syncro pannel van

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

On the principle that a picture (diagram) is worth a thousand words, here you go:

http://www.syncrosport.com/data/currflo ... _KY_JX.pdf

Any probs interpreting it, post 'em here and I'll do my best..

PS. If you do have any weird options (cruise, aircon etc.) then I have the diagrams for those as well.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Macflai

Post by Macflai »

Thanks for the link.

I've seen it before asking here... In fact somebody put the link and I downloaded 5 days ago to try to find out what I ask, but man, it's hard to read and there is no coincidence about the wires colours of my van... that is the reason I ask the people for the favor of watch on his vans... and take note of the colours...
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands

Macflai

Post by Macflai »

Syncro G wrote:Any clues to where this loom is? Is it one of the engine bay harnesses that ends in one of them round plugs in the 'lunch box' with the glow relay in it?

Brown with red trace sounds like its going to be heading to earth fairly soon, probubly via a switch, intereour lights(guess)?
Yellow is usally something to do with the headlamps (diped beam I think), possubly one of the oil presure switches too?

I've not realy investigated the rear looms on my van, its on the to do list. From the limited pokeing around I have done it seems there are two main looms with 7 pin conectors, one for the roadlights (need to wire a trailer socket into that) and another that must do most of everything else. I'm guessing on a syncro TD that'll mean engine inc sensors, coolent pump and turbo cooler. Something interesting I did notice at the back of mine near the battery is a 3 pin plug - don't know what it does but it doesn't have enough wires to be useful for a trailer (unless its for a rear foglamp deactivate relay, though surely that would be bridged to make the lamp work) or perhaps more likely its for a cruse control vacuum pump as this is where they are mounted on a petrol model (didn't think they ever offered cruse control on a diesel) - One day I will investigate this further as I have a cruse control unit to fit and if the wires are already there that'll be handy (wonder how far towards the cab they go). I don't have access to my Bentley manual at the moment but the cruse control is in there and the colours should be the same for all markets (bentleys lighting wireing is US and very different to euro spec, though its very good for optional kit) so can't take this theory any further at the moment. I have a reaionable mid spec euro JX wireing diagram but this isn't the only plug I've spotted thats not featured in it.

Give me a known location of the conector/loom, rough idea where it looks like it goes and a genral rundown of the factory spec of the van if its a caravelle with options (if its got a few options it might well have a loom incorporating more extras never fitted, this is perticularly true of later models). I might be able to do some more headscratching then. Should come in handy when I visit the engine bay of my van soon as there some upgrades to do later in the summer (main theme of which being bye bye JXI!).

Thanks for the answers, sometimes I feel alone here... :roll:

If anyone can see on your vans... Just want to know the colour of the wires on:

-two switches located under oil pressure sensor in the head, looking forward, there is a hose conected
-double pole switch, it has 65º-55º on it and its located in the right side of the head
-black switch it has 104º on it (sure for electric water pump)

:shock:
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands

Macflai

Post by Macflai »

I have been trying to find out applying 12 volts to some cables, one of them, yellow (I think is yellow) with red stripe is the turbo cooler and I connected to bipole switch (65º-55º).

Can anyone tell me how many wires have the electric water pump and it's colours? :roll:
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands

syncroandy
Trader

Post by syncroandy »

The coolant pump ('V50') is on page two of the diagram.
Syncrosport

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Macflai

Post by Macflai »

syncroandy wrote:The coolant pump ('V50') is on page two of the diagram.

I translated the electric diagram and I only need to compare to reality... Thanks Andy.
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands

syncroandy
Trader

Post by syncroandy »

Err.. I have a NOS TD harness here shall i take a photo of it ?
Syncrosport

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Macflai

Post by Macflai »

syncroandy wrote:Err.. I have a NOS TD harness here shall i take a photo of it ?

Yes please, I am interested on seeing the colours of the sensor wires and the electric water pump wires. :roll:
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands

syncroandy
Trader

Post by syncroandy »

I was sort of kidding when I offered to do that. I'm puzzled why you don't trust the diagram. I've been messing with these vans for a while and have no reason to doubt they're accurate. I'm not at all clear what problem you have, and I'm not particularly inclined to go to any trouble without a good reason..
Syncrosport

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Macflai

Post by Macflai »

:mrgreen:

I trust the diagram. Tomorrow monday I will check everything again, and change some wires because 2 or 3 are "toasted" because heat in the engine bay (toasted and colourless...)
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands

Grumpy Midget

Post by Grumpy Midget »

syncroandy wrote:I was sort of kidding when I offered to do that. I'm puzzled why you don't trust the diagram. I've been messing with these vans for a while and have no reason to doubt they're accurate. I'm not at all clear what problem you have, and I'm not particularly inclined to go to any trouble without a good reason..

You shouldnt Mess with these Vans Andy, it gets you into all sorts of problems.------ :rofl if you dont know what yer doin with them----------------- :mrgreen:
Anyway back to Mr McFlai
I have sent you a PM explaining what you asked for
Jeff.------------------------- :ok

Macflai

Post by Macflai »

Thanks Jeff, In the end a simple answer with the info I was looking for. Thanks! :wink:
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands