What will a mains hook up manage to power in a van?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sooper8
80-90 Mem No: 9292

What will a mains hook up manage to power in a van?

Post by sooper8 »

Never having used a mains hook up on a camp site, I wondered roughly what wattage on average will it the power in a van?
And is it a simple case of adding up the wattage of the appliances you have plugged in and keeping below a certain amount?

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question- but I thought best ask now rather than later when sitting in the dark with no power

Thanks

Jem

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Re: What will a mains hook up manage to power in a van?

Post by weldore »

i asked the very same question when i joined as id never used a hook up before.i got loads of answers with voltage/wattage and amperage involved but.....if it trips the rcd on the post of the campsite hook up point..then your drawing too much power.its just a case of restting the switch on the post...a kettle or a electric heater will proberbly use the most but these have never been a problem for us..nevr had to reset a switch yet
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

Willoughby
80-90 Mem No: 3068

Post by Willoughby »

Have a wee look at the link below.

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co ... AfAAwAHwA0

Kev
http://www.parka.plus.com/cookie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - wee test for me.

Kev.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

It won't work anything in the van unless you fit it or it is fitted to work on mains.

I (amps) = power (watts) divided by Volts (230 mains)

most campsites offer around 8 amps
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

kevtherev wrote:most campsites offer around 8 amps
I rarely use hook up but if I do, and I have to pay a charge on top for it, I make damn sure they provide 16A like they should or it's money back time..............
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

yes sorry I meant to say at least 8 amps
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

sooper8

Post by sooper8 »

Thanks for those answers.

I think I get the general idea now...'try it and see'!

Cheers

Jem

emmagirvan
80-90 Mem No: 9034

Post by emmagirvan »

I do not understand the wattage/amps power thing........ I probably should! But we used hook up for the first time a couple of weeks ago. We had the laptop hooked up for a dvd for the Olly (age 5) and a wee halogen heater plugged in also ! No problems. I also had the laptop plugged in using a voltage surge plug thing to protect the laptop if anything happened.

Emma x

sooper8

Post by sooper8 »

emmagirvan wrote:I do not understand the wattage/amps power thing........ I probably should! But we used hook up for the first time a couple of weeks ago. We had the laptop hooked up for a dvd for the Olly (age 5) and a wee halogen heater plugged in also ! No problems. I also had the laptop plugged in using a voltage surge plug thing to protect the laptop if anything happened.

Emma x

Yes, might be using a laptop so thanks for that tip about the surge plug thingy...

Jem

sooper8

Post by sooper8 »

Willoughby wrote:Have a wee look at the link below.

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co ... AfAAwAHwA0

Kev

Cheers Kev, that is very useful!
I can roughly add my appliances up using this bit below, and it at least gives me some idea of usage.
ImageClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

As these figures are only rough why not work things out more accurately and look at the label on each of your appliances.
For starters most domestic kettles are 2500 - 3000watts so thats 10.87 to 13amps not 8.3 as quoted.

Watts divided by Volts equals amps (mains volts being 230)
Most UK camp sites provide either 10 or 16 amps (usually 16) but go abroad and this can be as little as 6 amps thats why their hookup leads look like flymo extension leads! all this means you can't even use a normal kettle without the RCD tripping.

As a general rule the things that use most power are heaters ie: kettles/hair dryers/heater blowers/radiators/toasters etc
TV's/Computers/Radio's/lights/DVD players on the other hand are relatively low consumers and so you can plug several of these in all at the same time.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

Sooper8 the list you have put up looks woefully low on its amounts! But most small items like phone chargers etc you needn't worry about its fan heaters, kettles, toasters, and microwaves that are the main causes of power tripping out! Flip um over or look on the back and they will often have the wattage stamped on um so you can work it out. My general rule of thumb is one big item at a time so to boil kettle fan heater off first etc. Just one word of warning, some campsites dont have or allow you to access there breaker to reset the power so all ways check as at 3 in the morning they might not be best pleased to come out and sort it !
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

[As a general rule the things that use most power are heaters ie: kettles/hair dryers/heater blowers/radiators/toasters etc
TV's/Computers/Radio's/lights/DVD players on the other hand are relatively low consumers and so you can plug several of these in all at the same time.

Martin[/quote]

But as a camper you should be leaving most of this domestic stuff behind anyway and enjoy a break from TV, toasters etc. Surely that's the point of escaping in a van?

Patrick

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

PRD wrote: But as a camper you should be leaving most of this domestic stuff behind anyway and enjoy a break from TV, toasters etc. Surely that's the point of escaping in a van?

Patrick

I agree mate but the TV is a backup for when it's tipping it down and freezing outside. Unless you are a fair weather camper that is lol.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

I am a fair weather shorts/t shirt outdoor camper who only wants to be inside to sleep. That's why I check the weather forcast before going away for weekends. Summer is easy. We go to SW France where rain is heavy but rare and there are places outside to shelter with fellow campers (games rooms etc). We also have games and cards in the van for those wet occasions. Good old fashioned family stuff basically.

Patrick