LHD-RHD LAMPS

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DUMBODOGGY

LHD-RHD LAMPS

Post by DUMBODOGGY »

Hi Guys, I hope somebody may be able to answer a simple but could also be a stoopid question. I have recently bought a LHD camper and am about to send off the paperwork to have her registered in the UK. I know that I will need to change over the headlamps to RHD. I suddenly thought to myself, as the are round and all that, can I just turn them upside down?

With the rears, I obviously need a fog lamp on the offside and mine is on the nearside. I have taken the lens covers off and it looks like I can just buy a new offside lens with a foglamp, does anyone know if the wiring is there for the foglamp already or do I need to wire one up??

Cheers!!

Dave

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: LHD-RHD LAMPS

Post by R0B »

just but two rhd round ones they are not terribly expensive.
http://www.justkampers.com/shop/type_25 ... headlights
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

horns
80-90 Mem No: 6743

Post by horns »

You don't need to change the lights - you can just put stickers or tape on them to 'bend' the beams for UK use. But no, you can't just invert them! You don't need a new lens for the fog light either - there should be room for a bulb in there, you just need to rig up something at the back to make the connection. The wiring should already be present. You'll also need a light in the dash to indicate that the foglight is on - the stock switch has one built in.
1986 Westfalia Joker 1.6TD

DUMBODOGGY

Post by DUMBODOGGY »

Oh great, cheers for that, I thought by putting RHD stickers on the lenses was not passable as permanent. Do they ask for proof that this has been done??

I'll have a butchers at the rear lamp whn I get home too. She sailed through a UK mot and I was just advised on the lamps!

horns
80-90 Mem No: 6743

Post by horns »

Mine was UK registered with LHD lamps, and still has them after several years in the country...
1986 Westfalia Joker 1.6TD

DUMBODOGGY

Post by DUMBODOGGY »

sod it then! if I can get away with it I will leave them on, will be using it in europe ayways!

peasant
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by peasant »

Be advised though that should you ever travel in your van on a dark, rainy night on an unlit country road (in the UK) that you will see feck all with your dipped LHD lights ...a row of candles on the bumper would probably do a better job.

Headlamps was the first thing I changed on mine, but that's a daily driver.
Ex German army Syncro for sale

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

You don't need new headlamps for the MOT: see..
Proper conversion stickers are best and are not that expensive (bottom of the page: round L/H/D to R/H/D) £3.00 plus postage.

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=s ... d=headlamp

The O/S/R lamp holder will need modifying to accomodate an extra bulb for the foglamp, some just solder a feed directly to the bulb others drill and fabricate a sprung connector for the bulb (much better but you need to be handy)

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

DUMBODOGGY

Post by DUMBODOGGY »

Cheers guys, we won't use her really at night, the stickers are the future! Ta all

naskeet
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by naskeet »

If one owns a British or European registered, North American specification vehicle, one must replace the original SAE/DOT-standard headlamps, with lamps conforming to the European ECE-standard; of RHD or LHD dipping pattern, as appropriate. This might not be picked-up by an MOT inspector, but it is part of the British road-vehicle lighting regulations; especially for vehicles first used, after 31st March 1986.

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, Statutory Instrument 1989, No. 1796.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_1.htm

If one does much night driving, in both Great Britain and Europe, it might be beneficial to have both RHD and LHD headlamps, which can be swopped over before crossing the English Channel; ensuring consistent substitution of left-hand side (i.e. nearside) & right-hand side (i.e. offside - driver's side in RHD vehicles) lamp units, to maintain correct headlamp alignment.

Otherwise, one will need to fit supplementary beam converters or at the very least, mask-off the trapezoidal refractive area of the lens, using opaque, self-adhesive tape, such as PVC, electrical insulating tape. Failure to do either of these, might possibly result in a court summons or an on-the-spot fine! In countries with drakonian laws, they might even impound your vehicle!!!
Last edited by naskeet on 01 Apr 2011, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
Transporter Talk Technical Editor
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club
http://www.vwt2oc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mash
80-90 Mem No: 2251

Post by Mash »

naskeet wrote:If one does much night driving, in both Great Britain and Europe, it might be beneficial to have both RHD and LHD headlamps, which can be swopped over before crossing the English Channel;

It's a good idea, we've got both sets of lights and just swap them over when waiting for the ferry, 5 minute job. Might take up some room but for the safety benefits I'd rather get the best possible beam when driving on unfamiliar roads.
Matt & Ash

1983 2.1DJ LPG Westy Club Joker 5M
2010 2.0 T5 Multivan 132kW Comfortline(Aus Spec)

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

As your lights are round and are ten a penny common why not just source a good pair of RHD H4 lamps and change them??

Cheaper than winching the van out of a ditch

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

horns wrote:You don't need to change the lights - you can just put stickers or tape on them to 'bend' the beams for UK use. But no, you can't just invert them! You don't need a new lens for the fog light either - there should be room for a bulb in there, you just need to rig up something at the back to make the connection. The wiring should already be present. You'll also need a light in the dash to indicate that the foglight is on - the stock switch has one built in.

I agree with him!!! That's what I did four years ago.

Patrick