Running electrics on leisure battery

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sharkjazz
80-90 Mem No: 6648

Running electrics on leisure battery

Post by sharkjazz »

Morning, wasn't sure whether this should go in the technical forum, but as it isn't really that technical have decided on general, please move if wrong.

Anyway, whenever am parked up am always cautious about using the electrics as to not run the battery down in the middle of no where, but need I be?

I assume that if using the stereo, with the engine off, it should be coming from the lesiure battery. After that that been drained, would the stereo stop, or would it then move on to the normal battery, thus draining the all battery sources and mean no-go in the morning?

cheers

Headley18
80-90 Mem No: 160

Re: Running electrics on leisure battery

Post by Headley18 »

You would have to have the radio a long time before it flattened the leisure battery (depending on the condition of the battery of course) My kids had a playstation & TV running from an inverter off the 110 amph leisure batt. and they managed full to flat in 9 hours. The leisure and starter batteries are independant, one will not pull down the over (unless you have a faulty relay :wink: )
Pete
Member 160

A Man barely alive

horns
80-90 Mem No: 6743

Post by horns »

Unless your wiring has been modified, its likely that your stereo is running from the starter battery, not the leisure battery...
1986 Westfalia Joker 1.6TD

sharkjazz
80-90 Mem No: 6648

Post by sharkjazz »

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I will need to have a look and run some tests with the van on the drive rather than some deserted track :-)

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

If you have a van with blade fuses then the radio is normally off the starter battery via fuse No 3 along with the cigarette lighter and internal van courtesy/door open lights. Pull the fuse and see if it goes off (although the radio will lose it's memory and you'll have to re-tune all the stations again afterwards)
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

albertramsbottom
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5813

Post by albertramsbottom »

sharkjazz wrote:Morning, wasn't sure whether this should go in the technical forum, but as it isn't really that technical have decided on general, please move if wrong.

Anyway, whenever am parked up am always cautious about using the electrics as to not run the battery down in the middle of no where, but need I be?

I assume that if using the stereo, with the engine off, it should be coming from the lesiure battery. After that that been drained, would the stereo stop, or would it then move on to the normal battery, thus draining the all battery sources and mean no-go in the morning?

cheers

Just disconect one of your LB terminals, if the sterio still works then its off the starter :roll:
2ltr 1982 Aircooled

Street Decals
Vinyl FX Graphics
Design, Creation and application of leading edge vinyl graphics.
Vehicle signage, windows, and decals
http://www.streetdecals.co.uk