Earth?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

corleone
80-90 Mem No: 1106

Earth?

Post by corleone »

Feel a bit daft asking this one but I need to be sure, leccy is just not my thing.

The vans a non starter (2l a/c), turn the key and nothing happens. The solenoids on the carbs click but the starter doesn't spin. On top of this, the wipers are dead slow, lights dim in seconds when I put them on and when I put the hazards on there's a nasty sound from the relay like its sticking. The battery has a good 13 volts or so.

Think this points to a bad earth at the battery lead but I had a poke about in the dark :wink: and it looked ok.

Could anybody let me know if there might be anything else to look out for?

ta

I'll put my member no on my profile once I've found it.

tonytech
80-90 Mem No: 477

Post by tonytech »

Could also be the +ve side of the battery.
Take the leads off the battery clean the battery posts and refit.
Unbolt the earth lead from the chasis clean and refit.

Is the 13V reading with the lights on?
The lights getting dimmer over a few seconds points to knackered battery.

T
There are 10 kinds of people. those who understand Binary and those who dont

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

try some "percussive maintenence" on the starter with a mallet or similar, may be the little metal bush needs replacing where the starter motor shaft goes into the engine. 20p to buy, not too hard to replace. worn starter motor? remove it and connect it direct to battery if it whizzes fast and smooth like er... an electic motor, its ok, slow and grinding noises, swap it at GSF for a shiney new one (about 70£) and do the bush too whilst its out.
member 1168

corleone
80-90 Mem No: 1106

Post by corleone »

The 13v is with the lights off so I'll have another check of the battery and re-clean everything just in case.

If that fails I'll take a lump hammer to the starter motor. That one worked on my 205 but it didn't have the other symptoms.

ta!

stevel
80-90 Mem No: 2946

Post by stevel »

Mine used to do something very similar until I replaced the earth strap even though it looked o.k. to me. Starts like a good 'un now and it's a cheap enough thing to try.

Steve