Taking the heater to bits .

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

NeedABus
80-90 Mem No: 602

Taking the heater to bits .

Post by NeedABus »

I've got to replace my heater blower motor, and if possibel I'd prefer not to change the whole heater unit cos I know mine doesn't leak/need bleedign etc.

The question is, is it easy to separate the plastic casing around the heater to get at the motor, or is changing the whole lot really going to be easier?

I'm not a fan of water pishing everywhere so trying to avoid it.

Thanks
Gareth
Member No 602

Ivorblueun
80-90 Mem No: 1407

Post by Ivorblueun »

If your is the same as mine with the two halves stuck together it can be a bit fiddly but with a thin sharp blade half an hour and some choice words it can be done without too much hassle. I would imagine the complete unit new is very expensive and second hand not worth it what with the hassle involved in removing the dash. I drilled some small holes in the flat tabs and used silcon and self tapers to hold it together though i believe you can get the clips from VW. if you turn the heater to cold when you disconnect the pipes from the heater matrix there is very little spillage and a couple of bungs should stop the worst, hope this helps.
Stu

mine was a blue 89 Td Hitop

NeedABus
80-90 Mem No: 602

Post by NeedABus »

so do you think I can change the motor without taking the dash out?

cheers
Gareth
Member No 602

Ivorblueun
80-90 Mem No: 1407

Post by Ivorblueun »

you are going to have to remove the dash either way not so much difficult as a pain in the perverbial the steering column bolts on the top bracket are the security type where the head snaps off on tightening but crack them with mole grips or the like basically screw and bolt job if you have a haynes manual it gives you all info
Stu

mine was a blue 89 Td Hitop