how do i check split charge

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mr.mono7
80-90 Mem No: 0

how do i check split charge

Post by mr.mono7 »

Evening.

After a 9 month refurb, my van has 12 months mot and finally ready for its first weekend away. There's still much to do, but it's on the road.

when I bought the van, it had most of the wiring in place for the split charge, but it had all been disconnected. I've hooked it all back up again but wondered how's best (easiest) way to check that the relay is working as intended? There's no zig unit or anything, just a split charge relay system.

It's not desperate for this weekend, but it would be nice to get the coolbox running so I can enjoy a few cold beers.

Thanks

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: how do i check split charge

Post by bigherb »

With the engine running use a multimeter to check the voltage of both batteries they should both reading over 13.8V.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

mr.mono7

Post by mr.mono7 »

Ah great, nice and easy.

Is there a way to check that the lb has disconnected from the starter battery when engine stopped so I'm sure I'm not using both?

Thanks again.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Voltmeter should read normal battery voltage across the leisure battery when the engine is NOT running (around 12.7 volts fully charged) and then as soon as the engine is started and ignition light goes out this should have risen to around 14 volts (you may have to just raise off tick over if the light doesn't immediately go out)...proving that the relay has now connected both batteries together and the voltmeter is now reading alternator charging voltage (13.9 - 14.2 volts). Simplez..

Martin
Last edited by California Dreamin on 24 Jul 2014, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
1989 California 2.1MV

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

When engine is off remove +ve connection from leisure battery and check voltage between +ve connector and -ve terminal of battery. Should be 0V. If the starter battery is still connected it will read 12V(ish).
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

mr.mono7

Post by mr.mono7 »

Smashing,

Thanks y'all.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

mr.mono7 wrote: it would be nice to get the coolbox running so I can enjoy a few cold beers.

But only use the cool box whilst the engine is running otherwise it will flatten your battery in no time. They use about the same power as leaving your headlights on (about 7 or 8 amps). And while on the subject, don't ever let your leisure battery fall below 11.5 Volts, it damages them. You can buy a device that automatically disconnects the battery if the voltage drops too low to prevent damage (see below).

E D I T = From another post of mine earlier =

ghost123uk wrote:Heads up, I just found this one HERE on Ebay. It looks good what with the LCD meter etc. You need to add a relay, but that is dead easy.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here