brake lights on all the time

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

HansT
80-90 Mem No: 0

brake lights on all the time

Post by HansT »

Had a call from the garage today (where our 85 DG petrol Holdsworth Villa has been for an extended holiday - recon starter motor, Brickwerks stainless coolant front to rear pipes and new clutch slave cylinder) they tell me that now the brake lights are on all the time the engine is running.
They wondered if I might have any idea as to the cause...
Advice please, folks. New master cylinder brake switches, perhaps?
HansT
85 1.9 DG petrol Holdsworth Villa
Diesel T4 Caravelle 8 Seater

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Re: brake lights on all the time

Post by dave friday »

There are one or two switches on the brake master cylinder... funny garage that can't work that out!!
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Just unplug the switch/s if the light go out it is a faulty switch, otherwise a wiring fault which is more likely as the brake lights would be on all the time if it a faulty switch.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

HansT
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by HansT »

Thanks Dave and Bigherb - will keep you posted
85 1.9 DG petrol Holdsworth Villa
Diesel T4 Caravelle 8 Seater

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Hmmmmm :lol: next question......and where might the master cylinder be? the binnacle (plastic speedo surround) pulls up at the rear (closest to the screen) and then off at the front..to reveal a plastic pvc cover and underneath that the master cylinder with its one OR two 'hydraulic pressure actuated' brake light switches (two because as with all vehicles nowadays, T25s have a dual line/spilt braking system, so if one line develops a leak the brakes will 'partially work' and so will the brake lights).
Simple screw out/screw in to replace but do not over tighten.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

tonyandhelen
80-90 Mem No: 13435

Post by tonyandhelen »

how weird i thought id see if anyone had any ideas why my break lights had suddenly started to stay on all the time even when the ignition is turned off, and came across this,but to be honest though im still in the dark on how to fix it. ive followed the instructions above however im at a loss to where the brake switches are. any help would be really appreciated. At moment ive taken out the fuse to prevent the battery being drained. thanks. when i say break lights im talking about the lights at the rear of the vehicle, not the warning lights. feeling confused. im guessing that the switch is on the top of the brake fluid tank, however i only have one.

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

how weird i thought id see if anyone had any ideas why my break lights had suddenly started to stay on all the time even when the ignition is turned off, and came across this,but to be honest though im still in the dark on how to fix it. ive followed the instructions above however im at a loss to where the brake switches are. any help would be really appreciated. At moment ive taken out the fuse to prevent the battery being drained. thanks. when i say break lights im talking about the lights at the rear of the vehicle, not the warning lights. feeling confused. im guessing that the switch is on the top of the brake fluid tank, however i only have one.

The switch you are talking about is the brake fluid level warning switch, which illuminates the light on the dashboard (same light as handbrake warning) when the fluid level is low.
The brake light switches, either one or two may be fitted, are underneath the master cylinder (which has the brake fluid tank on top), you remove the instrument pod to access them.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

tonyandhelen
80-90 Mem No: 13435

Post by tonyandhelen »

many thanks, found them now, however still when disconnected lights still on, so must be a wire issue? ps sorry for hijacking this post!!