Reversing lights not working

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gypo
80-90 Mem No: 9543

Reversing lights not working

Post by gypo »

I know this a common problem on these old vans but what generally causes them not to work, is it the connections or the switch?
Cheers
G
T25 1.9 Petrol 1985 Homebrew

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Reversing lights not working

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Yes.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Flyingchunk
80-90 Mem No: 11572

Post by Flyingchunk »

Try cleaning the earth crown connections first. It sits behind the fuse panel in the glove box.

If not. Try the reverse light switch.

Cheap to buy. Screws into the front of the gearbox. Just slide under the van just in front of the rear left wheel, and you'll see two wires with a rubber boot over them going to it.

Using a spanner unscrew it and replaced it with your new one. Not forgetting to reattach the wires.

You'll need a bowl to catch the gearbox oil, and ensure you have a flexible metal washer with your new switch( or use the old one).

Don't over tighten or you'll ruin the threads.

It's a fine art, but keep tightening until with the ignition on until the lights come on.

When they do, get someone else to sit in the van and start it up, then put it in reverse. If they don't come on, tighten very slowly until they do light up. Too far, and they will be on ALL the time.

Like I said, it's a fine process.

Lastly, it's also best to top up your gearbox oil depending on how much you lost. Which to be fair, if you don't know how full it is anyway, is something you should do for piece of mind. Comma oil from WIlkinson is cheap and does the job fine. Comes with a pull out hose nossle, just squeeze the bottle until the oil overflows out.

Allow an hour for all the above if you have the correct tools.

You'll need spanners, and a hexagonal socket head for the gearbox oil plug. You can also fashion a tool using a bolt and two nuts, and use a spanner to turn the inner nut to undo the plug.
1981 - Devon Moonraker - 2.0l Aircooled

gypo

Post by gypo »

Excellent reply, many thanks. Job for one evening next week.
Cheers
G

Flyingchunk
80-90 Mem No: 11572

Post by Flyingchunk »

No problem.

Good luck with it mate.

I've learnt all this stuff over the last year, and made all the mistakes along the way. Including not knowing my gearbox oil level, resulting in needing a new gearbox!!

I'm now just at the stage of where I'm looking at thread titles and saying..."I know what to do!".

I like to think of it as giving back to the group for the free advice I've received.

Update the thread when your done, then it will help the next poor soul like us.

:ok
1981 - Devon Moonraker - 2.0l Aircooled

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

Hi, The reversing light earths in the engine bay not in the crown above the fusebox. Check fuse number 15, also check the bulbs are OK!
It's been a while since I had a petrol, but apart from the earth location I think it's similar. + feed comes from the white connector block on the back of the fuse panel (D16, black grey wire) goes to the gearbox switch under the van then onto the rear lights via a round 7 pin connector block in the engine bay (black blue wire).

Before replacing your switch check if you are getting +12 volts at the boot connector on the gearbox test between the two connectors (key in first position in ignition).
If this doesn't give you 12 volts then test between the black grey wire and a good earth on the body (or the neg terminal on the battery) work to see if it's any different.

Then check for continuity (beep test!) on the two terminals of the switch itself, when In reverse gear you should get continuity! between these 3 tests you will be able to work out what to repair. Chances are it's the switch but best to eliminate the alternatives!
member 1168

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

To check the switch all you need to do is remove the connector and short the 2 pins together with an odd bit of wire with the sign on they should light up.
It easier now to find the fault with a meter.
2.1 Twin slider

gypo

Post by gypo »

Thanks again all, plenty of info, Ill report back with the result once I do it.
G