Cab Speaker

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ads288
80-90 Mem No: 12898

Cab Speaker

Post by ads288 »

Hi All.

Im planning to add some front speakers to the cab doors in my van. Its an early (84) model and has not previously had any speakers in the doors. I think I've found a route for the cable to go.

Please correct me if Im wrong - but I was thinking of cutting a hole in the door card / panel and screwing the speaker into that. It just is a lot thinner than I expected.

Does anyone think it will be strong enough? All the pictures of people doing it seem to have made their own panels of thick mdf.

Thanks in advance.
1984 Transporter 1.9 DG Weber Carb

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Re: Cab Speaker

Post by Hacksawbob »

It is usual to mount the speaker in the original door cards. A mounting ring is usually provided with the speaker to spread the load though. I have heard of people mounting the speaker behind the panel and not cutting the door card at all. Probably loose a bit of top end this way though. Uncut door cards especially the nice caravelle ones are worth a few penny's which might be why people create there own rather than cut the originals.
member 1168

ads288
80-90 Mem No: 12898

Re: Cab Speaker

Post by ads288 »

thanks for the reply.

It makes sense now you mention the the ring spreading the load. Didn't realize they were worth anything - still planning to put a hole in them.

Ads
1984 Transporter 1.9 DG Weber Carb