bosch distributor connector - male 3 pin rectangle type

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: bosch distributor connector - male 3 pin rectangle type

Post by ghost123uk »

ghost123uk wrote:Have you seen the recent thread about JK selling dizzies that are 20 degrees (or similar) out on the timing ?

Just found that thread = http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=133827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and guess what it's yours :roll: :?

That's what you get for having two threads running on the same thing :roll: :wink: :lol:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

syncroandy wrote:Just seen the OP's other thread mentioning a completely different distributor ?

Is this a wind up ?

Yes, I just stumbled across that in my efforts to assist = very confusing posting technique :wink: :lol:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

bikerbriggsy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by bikerbriggsy »

ghost123uk wrote:
ghost123uk wrote:Have you seen the recent thread about JK selling dizzies that are 20 degrees (or similar) out on the timing ?

Just found that thread = http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=133827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and guess what it's yours :roll: :?

That's what you get for having two threads running on the same thing :roll: :wink: :lol:

Yep sorry about that - it's proving a nightmare, thought it would be just wire in + go, but what with the incorrect unit JK gave me, now I have the presumed correct one from Aircooled vw which matches 99% apart from the Hall sensor 3pin connector which I've now replaced - atleast it won't blow the engine !?! and yes I got a proper BANG !! thanks for the info.
1987 T25 2.1 petrol (donored from a 1990 model! was a 1.9 originally) High-Top 2-berth

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

OK, well just bear in mind that the bang was almost certainly because the ignition timing is WELL out, either because the dizzy is wrong or you put the leads on in the wrong order/places. The latter is a very common error that folk make. Nowadays a pic on you camera/phone before removing them is a good idea ;)

bikerbriggsy

Post by bikerbriggsy »

Haha I got it working :ok - I checked my cam phone pic and I inserted it 180 degrees out ... re-aligning to cylinder no. 1 still didn't work ...

So I finally checked the hall connector wiring, and pulled off the original connectors rubber sleeve (since i originally wired by the order as they entered the outside of the rubber sleeve in top to bottom order) only to find the top & bottom wires the wrong way round on ingress to the connector! doh!

I also made a classic mistake of leaving my leisure battery on charge overnight (bearing in mind I've only just bought the camper!), rather than the main battery which was completely flat... Now it's all systems go again after correcting the wiring and recharging the correct battery!

Its runs better than ever, and I used the manual method to fine tune the timing (Without a gun) going by sound ... fantastics, perserverence pays off in the end when your a dumfounded idiot like me!

Cheers for all your responses,
Rich.
1987 T25 2.1 petrol (donored from a 1990 model! was a 1.9 originally) High-Top 2-berth

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Glad yo got it sorted :ok

bikerbriggsy wrote: I used the manual method to fine tune the timing (Without a gun) going by sound ...

I would get that checked properly though, too far advanced, seems to run fine, but "pinks" under load = damage to piston or head (or both), to far retarded = runs too hot, lack of power and wasted fuel.

bikerbriggsy

Post by bikerbriggsy »

The temp gauge is now sitting just above middle, but noticed a slight lack of power when i put my foot down, but not by much - will get it checked out thanks! buying myself a strobe gun as we speak,

Cheers
Rich.