1989 Diesel radiator fan not working

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Canadark
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: 1989 Diesel radiator not working

Post by Canadark »

In an attempt to rule out all possibilities here are some photos of the Italian made Seleri water pump (on left) and a China made Meyle pump (on right)
I went with the Seleri pump as I had heard they were well made, and you can see the difference in the castings that the Seleri pump body is stouter and has better flow-through design. It also has the metal gasket instead of paper, and cheaper. (I looked at several pumps, some were real crap)
The pump impeller is stamped steel instead of cast pot metal. (my only hesitation when buying) The original pump I took out had a cast impeller and twisted in the same direction. (but it could have been wrong also? I was having overheating issues before replacement)
I know that with the V belt system I should have a clockwise pump.
Can anyone tell from the photo if the impeller is twisted in the correct direction?
Should I have gone with the cast impeller instead?

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1231395.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1231397.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1231396.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also note the difference in the amount the sealed off water pipe protrudes past the Chinese pump body (at top in the first and second photos). There was very little clearance between the pump and the power steering support bracket when mounted and I didn't think that pump would even fit without modification.

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Post by dave friday »

The impeller twists the same way as mine so yours is ok,have you thought about wiring in a switch to the rad fan so you can turn the rad fan when you want?Image
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

Canadark

Post by Canadark »

Thanks Dave.
I did some research on the web and came up with the same answer. As far as a "chicken switch" I really want the system to work by itself.
So, it's not the pump or thermostat, I don't think it's the radiator (although I'm gonna get a new one anyway), I think the next thing I want to try is a cooler radiator switch:
http://www.busdepot.com/25195948175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anyone ever try one of these?

I'm also coming to the painful conclusion that I might have a blown head gasket. There's no water in the oil, but I think I might have a high compression leak into the coolant system. I plan on getting the coolant checked for combustion gasses.

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Post by dave friday »

No my reason for suggesting that you fit a "chicken switch" is to see if it cools your hot engine!
My van would have the rad fan come on at 50mph [first stage ] and realy over heat on hills [second stage,overheat light,aux water pump n turbo fan etc].
Replacing the rad fixed it..now the rad fan comes on after 1/2hour up hill[ first stage] for 30seconds after stopping .
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

Canadark

Post by Canadark »

dave friday wrote:No my reason for suggesting that you fit a "chicken switch" is to see if it cools your hot engine!
My van would have the rad fan come on at 50mph [first stage ] and realy over heat on hills [second stage,overheat light,aux water pump n turbo fan etc].
Replacing the rad fixed it..now the rad fan comes on after 1/2hour up hill[ first stage] for 30seconds after stopping .

I have driven the truck with the rad switch jumped. Kept the radiator nice and cool but the engine is still hot enough for the aux water pump and turbo fan to run for two to three minutes after driving.
It's got to be blockage slowing the flow of coolant to the rad. I have ordered a new radiator and a cooler switch. Hesitating on ordering the expensive hose from the head.