Is this the correct oil pressure switch for my van?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Shotage
80-90 Mem No: 0

Is this the correct oil pressure switch for my van?

Post by Shotage »

Hi all.

I couldn't seem to find the answer elsewhere and thought I'm sure someone will know here...

I have a 1988 T25 Auto Sleeper, Petrol 1.9 watercooled van, which I believe has two oil pressure switches.

The buzzer of doom comes on sometimes and can be for long periods of time so I thought I'd replace the switches first. My question is, is this the correct switch and do I need 2 of these or is the second one a different switch?

http://www.justkampers.com/056-919-081- ... nd-t4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry, I'm a learner! ;-)

Thank you.
Andy
1988 VW T25 Auto Sleeper
1.9 petrol / watercooled

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Is this the correct oil pressure switch for my van?

Post by itchyfeet »

White is 1.8 bar so may cause false triggers

You want grey 0.9bar
you could buy from jk but id reccomend brickwerks unless jk stuff is quality branded, that link says febi which is ok

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/t ... -grey.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

could also easily be the wire across the engine or the connection to the loom or even the dash multiplug, the switch keeps the wire shorted to keep the buzzer quite so any open circuit connection will cause the buzzer to go off above 2000 rpm

other switch between pushrod tubes is blue, check your oil light comes on with ignition but not running, thats the blue switch working
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/t ... -blue.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers
Paul
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Shotage

Post by Shotage »

Great, thank you so much. Glad I asked!

The Blue one is obviously working as the oil light does come on with ignition (not running).

So I need to order a grey one and will go with Brickwerks as recommended, thank you.

I have a whole load of other stuff to get too, do they do most things?

I need...
Engine Coolant Temp Transmitter
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Vacuum Hose - 50cm
Alternator/Fan Belt (QBA 1100)
Oil pressure switch
Tail pipe & gasket

Thanks,
Andy
1988 VW T25 Auto Sleeper
1.9 petrol / watercooled

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Firstly I wouldn't buy anything from JK, most of the stuff supplied to me in the past has been very poor quality so I gave them the big E.All you need to know is available on Brickwerks site, but can take some finding for the unfamiliar.

The switch in the link you posted is one of the right ones that would fit (the white one mentioned below), but is the highest switching pressure so may not stop your buzzer of doom problem. Get a wet oil pressure test done at a garage first. Please don't assume it must be the switch before checking it out. Also when did it last have an oil change? Correct oil? Worn out old engine with a worn out old oil pump? Lots to consider, but switch is often last on the list.

Anyway, the switches you might need are as follows:
Higher pressure, normally open selection, it's the white, blackor grey, switch you will need (They work at different pressures - which one is in your engine? Between/below water pump and crankshaft pulleys).
Low pressure switch (normally closed - puts oil light on before you start engine), it's the blue switch HERE
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Typical, spent ages doing fancy hyperlinks and showing off, and you lot have sorted it out while I'm gone.
Why don't I just give short answers???? :roll:
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Shotage

Post by Shotage »

Thanks very much for your replies and I also appreciate your fancy links! :wink:

Okay, well I'm glad I asked here before pushing the button at JK. I'll see if I can find all the stuff I need over at Brickwerks.

Hope it's okay to ask here too, the engine coolant temp transmitter looks to be shot, we shorted it and the gauge moved. We cleaned it out but still no movement from the gauge. There appears to be quite a lot of variants over at Brickwerks, I don't suppose anyone could help me with which I need?

Thank you.
1988 VW T25 Auto Sleeper
1.9 petrol / watercooled

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Temp guage sensor for a late van
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/t ... k-wbx.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
i have seen sensors with a different plug but hopefully brickwerks have done their homework

new seal also needed
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/s ... -ring.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the other switch in the same thermostat housing for a 1.9 dg is the manufold heater thermal switch, just so you know its the blue one ( not to be confused with the blue temp sensor for a 2.1 dj)

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/t ... -1770.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers
Paul
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

ajsimmo wrote:Typical, spent ages doing fancy hyperlinks and showing off, and you lot have sorted it out while I'm gone.
Why don't I just give short answers???? :roll:

Nothing wrong with a long answer from a professional, short answers are not always accurate, if your long answer says the same as everybody else and adds some extra the op has confidence, keep it up :ok
switches may not be the problem, you mentioned oil pressure checks and oil changes, good call
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks