Wiring and Electrics info for Auto-Sleeper

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Shotage
80-90 Mem No: 0

Wiring and Electrics info for Auto-Sleeper

Post by Shotage »

Hi all.

I'm new here and I'm now the proud owner of an 1988 1.9 petrol T25 Auto-Sleeper :-)

I'm not good with electrics, but luckily I have relatives that are :-) But I was wondering if there is any books or information available on the electrics, fridge etc, for my T25 Auto-Sleeper?
I know there are different conversions and mine is the auto-sleeper, but also I gather there might be slight variations within that conversion. For example mine has the black and gold control panel.

So far I have no idea whether the electrics work properly...

1) I'm pretty sure the fridge works on battery whilst driving. But I can't get the gas to fire, the ignition light doesn't come on and the pilot light doesn't light.

2) I hooked the van up to electric but wasn't sure how to find out if it was working. I stupidly didn't have anything with a plug on to plug in to see if the power socket worked. None of the big lights seemed to work, but thought that could be bulbs or whatever. The normal interior/door lights did work fine.

3) I didn't see any lights on the control panel on. I saw the three lights for full charge, part charge and empty but none were illuminated.

I know this is not specific to it being a camper as such, but we also have the buzzer of doom. I'm hoping that some checking of wires, connectors or replacing the oil pressure switches might help!? Also the clock is not working and neither is the temperature gauge.

Sorry, I know there seems to be a lot of questions here, but I'm guessing I was hoping to find a resource that had information about the electrics and the conversion in general so we can look in to the issues above. But equally if you have any info or advice on the other specific things please feel free to jump in.

I have ordered a Haynes manual :-) and my father-in-law is a retired mechanic with some knowledge of T25s who can hopefully help his hopeless son-in-law :-)

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Andy
1988 VW T25 Auto Sleeper
1.9 petrol / watercooled

baj25
80-90 Mem No: 12953

Re: Wiring and Electrics info for Auto-Sleeper

Post by baj25 »

Hi Andy,
As another relative noob, I'd say you were in the right place for top advice, some very helpful and knowledgeable peeps on here. One tip I've learned, peeps like photos on here, it helps.
Your black and gold thing sounds like a zig unit. I too have an autosleeper and the following helped me understand what was going on behind the scenes. Obviously don't know if yours is the same without a photo :wink:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 9#p7925299" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a read through the wiki as well, some good material in there. I think autosleeper manuals are in there which tell you how to light fridge on gas etc. Try the search as well- not perfect as it depends on people using correct terminology/spelling but works a lot of the time.
HTH, Bri

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Post by Ian and Lins »

Hi Andy, It's a good idea if you post your location. There are a lot of people on here (me included) who would spend a bit of time looking at your van if you aren't too far away.
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

There's a wiring diagram for the leisure electrics in the club wiki
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Shotage

Post by Shotage »

Thanks so much everyone.

I will take more photos when asking questions as I understand how useful that is.

I'm in Crowborough, East Sussex - right on the Kent and East Sussex border.

I'll update my profile soon with location etc.

Thanks for the letting me now about the wiki, very useful indeed.

Thanks all.

Andy
1988 VW T25 Auto Sleeper
1.9 petrol / watercooled

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

Shotage wrote:I know this is not specific to it being a camper as such, but we also have the buzzer of doom. I'm hoping that some checking of wires, connectors or replacing the oil pressure switches might help!? Also the clock is not working and neither is the temperature gauge.

these are mechanical/electrical questions and you can ask them on a separate thread in their respective forums.

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

2) I hooked the van up to electric but wasn't sure how to find out if it was working. I stupidly didn't have anything with a plug on to plug in to see if the power socket worked. None of the big lights seemed to work, but thought that could be bulbs or whatever. The normal interior/door lights did work fine.

there's an RCD unit under the seat/bed check it hasn't tripped

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Post by a1winchester »

Maybe a bit obvious, but have you checked that there's a leisure battery fitted? Should be under the front passenger seat.
If so, is it charged?
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

Shotage

Post by Shotage »

Thanks all, I will go back and post in the appropriate sections for help as soon as I get a spare 10 minutes.

In the meantime, yes it does have a leisure battery but I'm not sure if it's charged. I don't know how to test it - but hopefully next week I can get my dad to help do that.

So if I have understood correctly, the leisure battery powers everything leisure related and when hooked up to the electric, that charges the leisure battery?

So if dead, it might need a good time hooked up before stuff starts to work.

Sorry, I know these must seem like tedious questions.

Thank you.
Andy
1988 VW T25 Auto Sleeper
1.9 petrol / watercooled

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

Shotage wrote:
So if I have understood correctly, the leisure battery powers everything leisure related and when hooked up to the electric, that charges the leisure battery?

not quite.. when the engine is running that also charges the leisure battery up.

The lights in the van...
There are VW courtesy lights (over the slider and the front doors) that run off the starter battery.
There are fluorescent lights that run off the leisure.
There's a spotlight that runs off the leisure.. (over the cooker?)
The only lamp that runs off hook up is situated on the wardrobe (in my 'sleeper anyways)
The propex works off the leisure
The water pump is from the leisure
The fridge runs off the engine, gas and hook up. (best on gas) it is silent. (Absorption fridge)

you can buy a battery voltage tester from Halfords for a few quid, but your control panel should be telling you its state

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Post by a1winchester »

Shotage wrote:

So if dead, it might need a good time hooked up before stuff starts to work.

I'm not sure that the hook up charges the leisure battery on all models. I don't think it does on my AS.
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

Yes later models fitted with the MC 2000 control panel had a battery charger on hook up

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

I'm pretty sure the original Autosleeper wiring diagram is in the Wiki
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

any use to you
http://www.autosleeper.vwt25camper.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.autosleeper.vwt25camper.info ... nualWM.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

mine is a 1990 and have the MC2000 fitted but no charger for the hookup,was that fitted only if you had the 'hotbox'' fitted as it was an option
Nil carborundum illegitimi