Temperature gauge on a constant high :(

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

malcyb
80-90 Mem No: 13386

Temperature gauge on a constant high :(

Post by malcyb »

As a relatively new Dub owner I have been presented with a bit of a challenge. When I switch on the ignition either from hot or cold the temperature guage shoots straight off the scale and sets the dreaded flashing red light off... Does anyone have some idea of the typical causes? I have tried looking into the Wiki but have yet to really understand it all. I would like this to be fixed ASAP as Im a bit worried about driving it any distance :/

Many thanks
VW T25 LHD 1.6TD Transporter

Currently being modified... wait and see....

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: Temperature gauge on a constant high :(

Post by jrt »

Check that you've got coolant then check the coolant level switch[top of the expansion tank] is connected properly and maybe clean the prongs. :ok
David
the future is unwritten

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

If the needle is going fully 'hot' then I think that the general opinion is that the van 'thinks' that the coolant temperature is very hot.
If this is happening at first start up (i.e. engine fully cold) then that must be a fault of some kind.
Try disconnecting the wire at the temperature sensor at the engine end and see if that changes anything?
Basically if the needle is going fully hot then something in the sensor or wiring is grounding that signal and giving a false reading of 'hot'.

Here's a pic of the basic wiring that might help you understand what is going on ....
Also, what year is the van?
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

malcyb
80-90 Mem No: 13386

Post by malcyb »

The van is a 1988 1.6TD

Thanks for the responses I will try checking this over the next couple of days. It is due to go into bodyshop for a bit of "minor" work....AHEM, dont tell the other half it involves a complete respray.... thankfully she hasnt seen it yet :wink:
VW T25 LHD 1.6TD Transporter

Currently being modified... wait and see....