Help diagnosing alternator fault please

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Help diagnosing alternator fault please

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

That is certainly at variance to my experience - I am not doubting what you have observed there. There must be a common fault on a lot of alternators that prevent self excitation when the excitation wire is removed though. The Valeo that was on my van certainly wouldn't work without excitation. I will check the Lucas one that is on there now when I get a chance.
I am wondering if they will self excite if there is no residual magnetism to generate a self starting voltage. I doubt it.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:That is certainly at variance to my experience - I am not doubting what you have observed there. There must be a common fault on a lot of alternators that prevent self excitation when the excitation wire is removed though. The Valeo that was on my van certainly wouldn't work without excitation. I will check the Lucas one that is on there now when I get a chance.
I am wondering if they will self excite if there is no residual magnetism to generate a self starting voltage. I doubt it.

I will check my lucas one too before fitting the 90a bosch at the wend and checking that too
most have a bosch on their t25 and thats what the op has and bigherb has tested
bigherb is that an early or late bosch and what amps?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Oldiebut goodie wrote: I am wondering if they will self excite if there is no residual magnetism to generate a self starting voltage. I doubt it.
No it can't if there is no residual magnetism.

itchyfeet wrote: bigherb is that an early or late bosch and what amps?

Original 45A air cooled alternator.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

ghost123uk wrote:I would love to "put this one to bed". Are the usual alternators fitted to our vans "self exciting" or not.

What have I / we started :roll: At least at the end of this it will be "put to bed" :wink:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

123-jn
80-90 Mem No: 12161

Post by 123-jn »

terribly exciting though eeh!!!!

I have learnt alot as I did not know that my alternator needed to be excited to work? Do you think it will work with the missus?
123-jn Autohomes Komet 2.1 DJ AUTO 1989 (closed loop LPG pierburg 2E3)
- Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi

badgerfax
80-90 Mem No: 2316

Post by badgerfax »

Just to finish, the I ordered a new brush pack from M.U.R.E
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171194815358? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Delivered in less than 24 hours from Northern island to Kent :ok

All fixed :ok

Just want to say thanks to all of you who helped me understand how this part of the van operates and where its connected to.
Special thanks to Itchyfeet who kindly sent me a brushpack to try. This will be in the post to you today.
Twist my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska.

Oldiebut goodie

I would expect that the voltage would be higher than that with a 14.7v regulator - it looks like you have lost approx half a volt between alternator and battery. What was the alternator voltage output?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:I would expect that the voltage would be higher than that with a 14.7v regulator - it looks like you have lost approx half a volt between alternator and battery. What was the alternator voltage output?

Hi Oldie, I have just taken a reading off the main alternator terminal and I'm getting 14.6v so you're correct. Did not check yesterday at source.
The ring connector has 2 cables going into it. Its not in fantastic condition. I have not got that size of connector/tool at the mo.

Both cables are red with white stripe. Can you give me an idea where they go. Battery connection is plain red although I seem to remember a red/white used in the westy bbb charger

Oldiebut goodie

You would be better waiting for someone with the knowledge of the setup that you have but a quick look at a wiring diagram shows that the 2 R/W go to a join (I don't know where - possibly in black box on bulkhead?) then comes from that in one thicker R cable to the starter solenoid thence to the battery. Several joints there that need looking at / repairing / cleaning.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

Thanks Oldie, Will investigate further :ok

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

Water cooled engines alternators are wired two different ways
Two wires to the post in the box in the engine bay then one heavier wire to the starter motor.

Or one heavy wire direct to the starter motor and a smaller one to the post in the box

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

itchyfeet wrote:
Oldiebut goodie wrote:That is certainly at variance to my experience - I am not doubting what you have observed there. There must be a common fault on a lot of alternators that prevent self excitation when the excitation wire is removed though. The Valeo that was on my van certainly wouldn't work without excitation. I will check the Lucas one that is on there now when I get a chance.

I will check my lucas one too before fitting the 90a bosch at the wend and checking that too
most have a bosch on their t25 and thats what the op has and bigherb has tested
bigherb is that an early or late bosch and what amps?

Ok just checked the lucas currently in the van and it does the same as bigherb says, no power until you rev it a bit for say 20 seconds then it starts producing power, let the revs die down and it continues producing power.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Post by dave friday »

With my old alternator I had to take the revs to 1200 before the charge light went out,with the new one the charge light goes out as soon as the engine starts at 750rpm.
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

dave friday wrote:With my old alternator I had to take the revs to 1200 before the charge light went out,with the new one the charge light goes out as soon as the engine starts at 750rpm.

Sorry should have explained more, we were discussing if the alternator will self excite (produce power) with the charge light connection (blue thin wire) removed, it appears it will but only after reving

if this is happening to you then the alternator is probably fine its probably the small blue wire thats at fault, im sure many people have wasted money on a new alternator because this connection was bad, you may never have noticed because when fitting the new alternator you inevitably remake that connection and all is well again

i think we have finally 'put this to bed'
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

itchyfeet wrote: Ok just checked the lucas currently in the van and it does the same as bigherb says, no power until you rev it a bit for say 20 seconds then it starts producing power, let the revs die down and it continues producing power.
It is not actually time, it is RPM dependant, you can rev all day but unless you reach the RPM threshold around 3000 RPM alternator shaft speed 1500-2000 RPM crank speed it won't self excite.