Dumb audio question

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Dumb audio question

Post by weimarbus »

Sorry to appear really dim but is it possible to wire extra speakers in parallel with my existing front speakers ? ( I would like to have pod type speakers on the ends of the dash ). So the second question is, if it is possible could I use PC type speakers ?. what would the complications be re watts + ohms
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

baj25
80-90 Mem No: 12953

Re: Dumb audio question

Post by baj25 »

I wouldn't recommend it. each speaker output 'expects' to see a certain impedance connected, like 1 speaker. If impedance is lower, which would be the case with 2 speakers in parallel, amp could overload. At best case it would probably just sound sh1te. Why have 2 in parallel- just use the new ones? I think we'd need a lot more info on existing amp and proposed speakers to comment on the ones you propose. HTH, Bri

SamsBus2012
80-90 Mem No: 11455

Post by SamsBus2012 »

Baj25 is right. You may find this useful:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio- ... olume.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rambles on a bit but explains the principles.
Tom (aka Matt)
1986 Hightop with 1.9dg 4spd. The boys call him "Magnus"

weimarbus

Post by weimarbus »

Thanks for your replies and the link, lots of info there. Re using only the one speaker I had wanted to keep the door speakers for more bass and thought that the dash mounted small speakers would be too tinnie/tiny whatever. I will have to have a rethink 'cause the sound from the door speakers is just to far down by the floor and if it is turned up the doors act like speakers on the outside and I'm far too old to be that cool :ok
1972 1303 beetle
1967 Vw  Madison kit

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

You can do as you describe in your first post, but you must only use a "Piezo" type speaker. These have a very high resistance and so will not upset your head unit (or amp). They are only available as "tweeters", producing only the high frequency sounds, but in conjunction with your bassy door speakers they might just be the ticket :)

Something like THESE Pyle PLWT4 ones on Amazon

However, it is true to say that using a crossover and some more conventional high frequency speakers is more usual and will likely produce a better sound quality ;)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

badgerfax
80-90 Mem No: 2316

Post by badgerfax »

ghost123uk wrote:You can do as you describe in your first post, but you must only use a "Piezo" type speaker. These have a very high resistance and so will not upset your head unit (or amp). They are only available as "tweeters", producing only the high frequency sounds, but in conjunction with your bassy door speakers they might just be the ticket :)

Something like THESE Pyle PLWT4 ones on Amazon

However, it is true to say that using a crossover and some more conventional high frequency speakers is more usual and will likely produce a better sound quality ;)

That's interesting to know ghost. my original 100mm westy door speakers gave popped last year and I have been looking at replacing them. But 100mm speakers arn't going to be that good methinks.
I have since bought a doner GTi and was thinking of transferring the Golfs tweeters to the old westy location and fitting bigger speakers lower down in the door after insulating the door. Was not going to replace the head unit at this time which is fairly basic cd 4 output jobbie with no amp/sub.
From what you say about the tweeters I should be able to do this :ok
Sorry to hijack the thread :oops:
Twist my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

badgerfax wrote: From what you say about the tweeters I should be able to do this

Ah, be careful though, note this bit I wrote = "but you must only use a "Piezo" type speaker [tweeter]" = Are the tweeters from the Golf Piezo ? You can easily tell with your multimeter. "Normal" speakers (and tweeters) will measure only about 4 Ohms whereas Piezo ones will measure hundreds of Ohms or even up to ~1,000 Ohms.

Also, remember that 90% of the power required to listen to music quite loud is all used up in the bass notes. The higher frequencies take very little power indeed. So, in your case adding any type of tweeter to augment 100mm speakers is only going to boost the very high frequencies and make the whole thing sound too sharp and shrill. I am afraid that with simple speaker systems like these, when it comes to playing at louder volumes (see ** below) there is no substitute for size !

** = I don't mean bang bang rave type volumes, I just mean a "proper" volume for decent quality sounding music reproduction ;)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

weimarbus

Post by weimarbus »

thats great news Ghost, I was looking at pioneer ts-s15 tweeters but they are not piezo, thanks for the link :ok
1972 1303 beetle
1967 Vw  Madison kit

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

ghost123uk wrote:
badgerfax wrote: From what you say about the tweeters I should be able to do this

Ah, be careful though, note this bit I wrote = "but you must only use a "Piezo" type speaker [tweeter]" = Are the tweeters from the Golf Piezo ? You can easily tell with your multimeter. "Normal" speakers (and tweeters) will measure only about 4 Ohms whereas Piezo ones will measure hundreds of Ohms or even up to ~1,000 Ohms.

Also, remember that 90% of the power required to listen to music quite loud is all used up in the bass notes. The higher frequencies take very little power indeed. So, in your case adding any type of tweeter to augment 100mm speakers is only going to boost the very high frequencies and make the whole thing sound too sharp and shrill. I am afraid that with simple speaker systems like these, when it comes to playing at louder volumes (see ** below) there is no substitute for size !

** = I don't mean bang bang rave type volumes, I just mean a "proper" volume for decent quality sounding music reproduction ;)

The setup I removed from the golf has a 4 Ohmn tweeter with an output to a further 4 Ohm larger speaker. This appears to be driven from a fairly basic cassette
head unit.

Ive just pulled the rear ones out, looks like its been poked which is a shame.

I was hoping to replicate the golf setup using the big tweeter behind the original westy grill and then fit a larger speaker at the bottom of the door. The 170mm golf speaker will need door metal cutting though. Probably will just buy the largest one I can get in the existing hole.

SamsBus2012

Post by SamsBus2012 »

Just a thought but have you considered installing some coaxial speakers in the front doors? Its what I use: http://www.focal.com/en/access/465-165-ac.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About £70. They have a directional tweeter which makes a difference. On a 4 channel set up I just faid to the front speakers when at spead - really full sound and kids can still sleep in the back on the journey.
Tom (aka Matt)

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

SamsBus2012 wrote:Just a thought but have you considered installing some coaxial speakers in the front doors? Its what I use: http://www.focal.com/en/access/465-165-ac.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About £70. They have a directional tweeter which makes a difference. On a 4 channel set up I just faid to the front speakers when at spead - really full sound and kids can still sleep in the back on the journey.

Nice speakers, where in the door did you install them, I'm guessing you had to dust off the angle grinder :wink:

SamsBus2012

Post by SamsBus2012 »

Ok so I think I have finally sussed photos on the forum, only taken 2 years! They are in the bottom corner of the doorcard - yes, hole enlarged with disc cutter.
Tom (aka Matt)