Flickers and Hazards not working

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Godfrey
80-90 Mem No: 0

Flickers and Hazards not working

Post by Godfrey »

I have a 1997 Volkswagen caravelle combi 2.6i and live in South Africa. My turn signals (flickers) and hazards stopped working recently. The fuse is okay. The lights do work when the alarm is set or unset. Could this be related to a relay (if there is one on the fuse box) or alternatively the flicker switch on the steering column. I think that the flicker and hazard switch is inter-connected somewhere. I am unable to find the number on the net if it is a relay. Any assitance or diagrams would be appreciated.

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Re: Flickers and Hazards not working

Post by marlinowner »

Hi, I have a South African Microbus, 1993. If I remove relay 21 in the relay/fuse box then the indicators (flickers) and hazard lights fail. Relay 21 is the top right relay on my bus, hopefully it is in the same position on yours.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

Hazard switch. Always the first port of call if both sets of indicators stop working together.

When you turn it on, it internally disconnects the indicators from the normal stalk, and connects them together. Vice-versa when you turn 'em off. If it sticks internally...
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Godfrey
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Godfrey »

Hi Gents. Thanks for the prompt reply. I went to a scrapyard and managed to get a relay which fitted in the position Marlinowner stated. Problrm solved and only cost me R80(eighty rand) Very few pounds.

All the best

Godfrey

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

Glad I could help you out!
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine