Overheating...... Radiator sensor.??

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

OLD ONE
80-90 Mem No: 1737

Overheating...... Radiator sensor.??

Post by OLD ONE »

A few weeks ago driving to Suffolk from home, the van started to overheat, red light came on and gauge way up. I pulled into a layby, gave it ten minutes then checked coolant levels, every thing fine. Started engine, no red light and temp gauge a little higher than normal. Continued journey, no further problems. Drove around for a couple of Days with no trouble, no red light and gauge in its normal reading.
On the way home it all started again after about 30 miles. Again stopped, gave it about 10 mins, checked coolant, all OK. Set off again and within 10-15 minutes red light , gauge well up. Stopped for half an hour, then set off again. Had to stop a couple of times again en route. I then realised that the radiator fan was not operating
The following day checked Wiki, did not find anything that matched the problem, so out came Haynes. According to it, to check the fan you disconnect the plug from the sensor in the radiator and join the terminals in plug. Did this and fan works (2 speed fan) so I am assuming that the sensor is at fault?
To keep the van operational I have wired in a switch to manually operate the fan as I am running back and forth to Suffolk
Question is, is my assumption correct that the sensor in the rad is at fault?
Health has now stopped me camping Etc.

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Re: Overheating...... Radiator sensor.??

Post by New Kentish Campers »

I had the self-same fault on mine when I first bought the van a few years ago and a new sensor cured the problem. :ok

I do wonder if its now that we have - for a nice change - some warm weather, previously unknown duff sensors were undiscovered as they never need to do any work!

Out of interest, where does your temp.gauge needle normally sit once the engines fully warmed,etc? Mine sits on the right hand edge of the red lamp, which I think is correct? Can anyone else confirm this?

richlaz
80-90 Mem No: 10937

Post by richlaz »

Mine normally sits exactly at the half way point, sometimes a millimetre or so to the right

I very recently had similar fault, and also believe the temp switch is at fault - see below thread

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=132819" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1984 1.9 DG Westfalia Sport Joker

OLD ONE
80-90 Mem No: 1737

Post by OLD ONE »

NKC
When I first got the van the pointer sat about halfway between zero and the red light. After driving it for a few months I noticed it sat directly on the red light. So now when driving I keep my eye on it and as it reaches the red light I switch in the fan.
Must get round to obtaining a new thermo switch??
Health has now stopped me camping Etc.

richlaz
80-90 Mem No: 10937

Post by richlaz »

Sounds like it's probably the switch at fault then seeing as the fan is proven to be working - as long as the rad is actually getting hot, otherwise could be air lock or pump issue...?

Got my rad temp switch yesterday from GSF for around £9 after 20% discount :D (reserve online to pay/collect in branch, promo code CC20) ;-)

Worth a try... Not too expensive :D
1984 1.9 DG Westfalia Sport Joker

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

The one thing I will say about rad switches is that even from new, the operating points can vary from one switch to another.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.