Sidelight not working - no supply?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

richlaz
80-90 Mem No: 10937

Sidelight not working - no supply?

Post by richlaz »

The list of faults just keeps getting bigger... I fix one thing and two things break... really starting to get to me now... :twisted:

Noticed yesterday that my left hand sidelight wasn't working... assumed the bulb had blown...

Took headlamp out... bulb fine... no 12v supply going to the sidelight bulb. The dipped/main bulb works fine. The earth connection on sidelight bub holder is good, but no +12v.

The plug is slightly corroded which I thought may be an issue, but I've stripped a tiny bit of insulation back to get some nice shiny copper... with a good proven earth... and there's definitely no power on the wire :(

Right-hand headlamp all works as it should.

Anyone have any idea where to look? I did have a look in the Bentley at wiring diagrams, but can't seem to find the sidelights (do our friends across the pond not have them, or call them something stupid!?)

I did have fuse box out the other day, and re-terminated some dodgy earths, but pretty sure I didn't disturb anything. (Took it back out to double check, also checked plug at rear of headlight switch).

Many thanks for any advice :D
1984 1.9 DG Westfalia Sport Joker

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Re: Sidelight not working - no supply?

Post by marlinowner »

Is the rear light working? According to my book (for 1989 Van), fuse 7 is left hand side tail and side light..
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

richlaz
80-90 Mem No: 10937

Re: Sidelight not working - no supply?

Post by richlaz »

You sir are a genius :D :ok

Tail light on left hand side wasn't working... fuses all looked ok (could see fuse wire from front of all fuses)... but gave them all a wiggle/twist... then tail light came on! :D Probably a bit of corrosion around fuse holders :roll:

Had to play about with the side light contacts again for the lamp to work - but all back in now :D Easy to clean the spade connectors on the bulb holder, but almost impossible to clean the female spades on the plug...

Many thanks for your help - one more thing crossed off my huge list :lol: :ok
1984 1.9 DG Westfalia Sport Joker