2.0L Starting Problem Please Help

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

buggycalum
80-90 Mem No: 0

2.0L Starting Problem Please Help

Post by buggycalum »

I have been having problems getting my 2.0l Cu engine started, I have followed all the previous advice on this forum. I have renewed the battery, starter, earth straps, main positive cable. I have even moved the battery to the back of the van so I don't have as long a cable. Even more confusing is that it will start fine on cold but once the engine (replacement from Elite VW) is hot I can only get the starter to barely turn. Not sure what else to do so if anyone has got any ideas I would welcome them.

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Re: 2.0L Starting Problem Please Help

Post by BOXY »

You could try to rule out an engine problem by trying to turn the engine over by hand once its warmed up. Take the basket of the fan and use the nut in the centre with a socket and extension to turn the engine over. If the engine is hard to turn over maybe the engine is nipping up when hot?
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

buggycalum
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by buggycalum »

Thanks for the reply, I will try this but I have no reference point to measure against I assume it should turn over with a bit of force, should I do this with plugs in or out though? I have tried getting engine warm and turning over using pulley on alternator with plugs out and could turn with no serious resistance.

SILVERFOX2013
80-90 Mem No: 12850

Post by SILVERFOX2013 »

sounds like bad connections on starter motor check or re check positive and negative connection's directly on starter motor hope this helps you :ok
1981 t25 devon 1600 ct

SILVERFOX2013
80-90 Mem No: 12850

Post by SILVERFOX2013 »

if starter motor all correct then next I would check timing when cold and watch until engine is hot using a strobe ect timing should be set when engine is completely up to a hot running temp check work shop books for correct timing deg marks ect as all types of engine are different some are ATDC OR BTDC

IF YOUR ENGINES TIMING IS OUT IT CAN COUSE PRE IGNITION IE (SPARKING AT PLUGS TOO EARLY THIS WOULD MAKE IT STRUGLE TO START ECT )
I HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN ON MY 1600CT VW T25 ENGINE IN THE PAST HOPE THIS MAY HELP YOU
1981 t25 devon 1600 ct

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

No disrespect intended to the previous poster, but the timing won't change with a warm or cold engine. If the timing is out starting would be a problem with a warm & cold engine.

Check to see if your alternator charge is making it to the battery with the engine running.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.