Tablet dash board

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

The Bishop
80-90 Mem No: 10021

Tablet dash board

Post by The Bishop »

So the new tesla uses a tablet for the dashboard as does the new land speed record car.

There must be moders out there who have already put one in a citreon Saxo to replace the speedo and other gauges. Have any of you clever buggers achieved it yet and would it be allowable in an older car?
1986 1.9 Petrol/LPG with Devon pop up.

Tobyt25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Tablet dash board

Post by Tobyt25 »

There are apps for apple that will act as an accurate speedo or record millage and average mpg. I can't see it being possible to read fuel levels, temp and rev counter without wireless transmitters. . Image

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

The best approach would be to design an interface which plugs into the 14 way connector, possibly with speedo input as well, that converts the various analogue inputs into a string that is then sent to the tablet, probably via Bluetooth.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Apart from keeping your mind busy whilst its all worked out, I can't see much point in it, at least not in something as old as a T25. I do sometimes use a HUD speedo display for speed using a Tesco HUDL at night which is actually useful, but the other guages I barely look at, and thats the bottom line. The expense completely outweighs the benefits.

From experience, you can get obsessed by dials and not spend enough time looking where it matters - out the glass at the front. :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.