Is my Battery too small??

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Gary.pb
80-90 Mem No: 11867

Is my Battery too small??

Post by Gary.pb »

My van has always started on the button every time, however during the winter it completely died on me. I suspected it was probably the battery and had it checked out and I was told it was knackered. I bought a new battery which I was told would be fine but it is a lot smaller in size than the other one. Since the new battery was fitted the van will sometimes start after a lot of cranking and sometimes it wont. As soon as I put jump leads on it it starts first time. Is there a way of knowing if my battery is man enough to start my van before I start looking into other possible reasons.

Thanks in advance.

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: Is my Battery too small??

Post by AdrianC »

Does the new battery have a label with any size markings on it? CCA (Cold Cranking Amps - how much "oomph" it can deliver in a burst to the starter - and Ah - Amp-hours, the "size of the tank" - are the really important ones.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Surprisingly ;) "we" need to know what engine type is in your van, and what Ahr rating this new battery is ?
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Gary.pb

Post by Gary.pb »

Ha Ha sorry about that, engine would help wouldn't it. Its a 1.9dg.

I have had a look at the battery and there are no stickers on it but I have found the invoice and I think the battery is the same as this but it is made by Value Power

http://www.tayna.co.uk/063-Numax-Car-Battery-P937.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers for your help

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

An 063 doesn't seem very big for our vans...

From that very site's fitment guide, they suggest an 063 for a 1.6 Aircooled, and an 096 for a wbx.
http://www.tayna.co.uk/096-Enduroline-C ... P8383.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

700CCA vs 360, 70Ah vs 44. So it can't deliver anywhere near as much oomph, and it'll flatten much more quickly.

If your van's needing a lot of cranking to start, then the difference in batteries won't help one bit. But, having said that, it won't be causing the difficulty in starting. Just highlighting it.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gary.pb

Post by Gary.pb »

Cheers for your help. Looks like I might have to look elsewhere. Im guessing starter motor bushes is a good place to start. Sorry for all the tedious questions ( my mechanical knowledge is very limited) am I right in thinking that as it does always start eventually it is unlikely to be the starter motor?

How about a bad earth connection, is that a possibility?

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

What's it doing, other than "not starting"?

Is it spinning over quickly and reliably, and just not catching, right up until it starts to slow right down, go click, and the lights dim?

If so, then the problem isn't your starter motor or battery.

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

If it starts OK when jumped, that suggests to me that your battery is struggling to spin the starter motor fast enough. Does it seem to spin faster when jumped? The starter motor bush is a possible suspect, if it is worn the starter will struggle. It remains in place when the starter is removed and is easily neglected.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

Gary.pb

Post by Gary.pb »

It does spin noticibly faster when It is jump started. Also once it has started and been used I have no problem starting it again if I use it later in the day. I have put a meter on the battery and it is charging ok. I have also had the new battery checked and was told it was fine

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Yep, you need a bigger battery. You can get the same scenario with a bigger battery when it is losing its ability to hold a charge. In both cases there isn't enough punch to give the starter what it needs. 096 will be adequate as suggested.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Gary.pb

Post by Gary.pb »

All sorted :ok

just bought a new 096 and it started on the button.

Thanks to everybody for for their advice and help