Electronic Ignition on my 1984 T25 - ADVICE

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Camperboy69
80-90 Mem No: 7620

Electronic Ignition on my 1984 T25 - ADVICE

Post by Camperboy69 »

Hi Guys, wornder if you can help a fellow VW friend who is not as great on the PC as I am:

I am looking for advice regarding Electronic Ignition on my 1984 T25 1.9 Watercooled van DG engine.

Recently broke down and the RAC mechanic identified ignition problems.
The electronic ignition system had previously been removed before i owned the bus and fitted with an older manual style distributor.
Under his recommendation I decided to revert back to the original electronic ignition.
Unfortunately all the parts are not available to buy new as some have been discontinued such as the (Wiring loom)
I contacted a 2nd hand dealer who informed me they could supply the Electronic Ignition parts.
As my knowledge with electronics is limited , i requested the assistance of a friend who fitted the system for me.
He advised that the distributor supplied was that of a CU engined type, he fitted it and made adjustments.
My thoughts were if it works its ok.
The van now takes an age to reach 45 mph max and drinks the fuel rapidly.
Can a CU type distributor be fitted and properly work on a DG engine ?.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Stephen

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: Electronic Ignition on my 1984 T25 - ADVICE

Post by ghost123uk »

No, it won't work correctly.

You should be able to get all the parts you need quite easily from one of the T25 spares and or breakers, both on here and in general. Put a "wanted" ad up in here. You need a DG dizzy (forget the numbers, but they where quoted recently on here in another thread) and an ignition amp (though assuming you already have that ?) and the correct type of coil ("green" sticker one is by far the most common). I forget if the "loom" for the amp and dizzy is separate from the main loom in the engine bay, but either way, they will be available via a "wanted" ad.

Look up "billy739" on here for instance, he usually has a barn full of spares :) (and there are others)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here