warning light

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Re: warning light

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

I think we've probably seen worse!!
I assume that tape was covering the terminals?

Did you managed to get a reading of voltage - its the right hand of the three terminal in your picture.
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

hippy chick
80-90 Mem No: 1575

Post by hippy chick »

The tape was sticking the blue ribbon together . I did not get 10 volts . It went to 6.then fell to -0.01. There is also a bronze strip stuck to the gaffer tape.

MidLifeCrisis

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

OK - in your picture the bronze strip that is stuck to the gaffer tape is a connection for the clock (which you don't have) - so its not that important (although its important that you don't let it contact any of the other bits (especially the bit next to it which is the other connection for the clock!)

So - next test is to test the voltages on the Voltage Regulator (which is that small black component with the 3 legs to the right of your picture).
The middle leg isn't connected to anything which is correct (that leg is the ground connection but in this instance the component is grounded by the screw that it is mounted with).
The left hand leg should have 12 volts (or actually it should have whatever your battery voltage is) on it, the right hand leg should have 10 volts on it.
Can you test these two to see what they are reading??

hippy chick

Post by hippy chick »

I am not getting a reading from then. it stays at -0.00 . i tested volt meter on batt to see if it was working that came out at 12.24.

hippy chick

Post by hippy chick »

sorry i have a reading with ignition on . :oops: the 10 volt one is reading 9.28 and 12 volt one is reading 11.78 .
i forgot to turn the key sorry.

hippy chick

Post by hippy chick »

OK i have re done the other test , grounding in a different place and got this reading. the one you ringed in orange is 10.23 the other one is reading 7.9. so sorry to muck you about but i have never used a meter before lol think i got it now jen

MidLifeCrisis

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

hippy chick wrote:OK i have re done the other test , grounding in a different place and got this reading. the one you ringed in orange is 10.23 the other one is reading 7.9. so sorry to muck you about but i have never used a meter before lol think i got it now jen
Just to clarify - which 'other one' are you referring to?

hippy chick

Post by hippy chick »

the first test on the two nuts on back of temp gauge. temp signal and 10 volt test.jen

MidLifeCrisis

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

OK - stranger and stranger .....

... Do you know how to do a continuity test with your voltmeter (it's usually the symbol on the multimeter selection dial with a 'diode' like symbol on it) - here's a good description of how to set it http://www.ladyada.net/library/metertut/continuity.html

FYI - you need to do this test with the ignition OFF!!

You need to test the 'continuity' of the ground terminal (the middle one with the red circle around it) to actual ground.
So, with the multimeter in 'continuity' mode; touch the negative probe to the van body bare metal and the positive probe to that middle terminal - hopefully you should have 'good' continuity (usually shown by a '0.00' value on your voltmeter - but they do vary)

hippy chick

Post by hippy chick »

The continuity is 0,09.

MidLifeCrisis

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

OK - final test then i might be nearly out of ideas;

If you have a short piece of wire - briefly connect the Temp Signal terminal to the Ground terminal (so the green circled terminal to the red circled terminal) - this should be with the igniton ON. (By 'briefly' I mean to just touch the wire between the terminals for a couple of seconds).

What does the temp needle do when you do this (it should move to full hot indication) - (and in theory the light in the gauge should flash)

hippy chick

Post by hippy chick »

no nothing happened . if i look for another unit would that cure the problem do you think. jen

MidLifeCrisis

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

Errrmm - looks like the gauge might be past it then.
Do you have a friend with a van that you could swap gauges with to test it out?
Would be nice to confirm that it is the gauge before you have to buy a new one...
And/Or Try the 'Wanted' section in here - see if anyone has a spare temp gauge ...

hippy chick

Post by hippy chick »

if i find a temp gauge can i put it in this unit, have just searched the net. think i my have a job finding a unit . if i can rebuild this one it might be quicker.
Thank you so much for your patience and help today. The photos helped alot :D jen

MidLifeCrisis

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

Yep - if you can find a temp gauge it is pretty easy to put into the gauge cluster.
No problems - sorry we couldn't get it fixed ......
....... if you have trouble sourcing a gauge you could send me the one you have and I could have a poke around and see if it is fixable ??? But that would obviously leave you short of a gauge for a while ?

Alternatively - you can buy aftermarket gauges that you could fit instead but obviously replacing the original must be the first option ...

Let me know if I can help !!