warning light

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hippy chick
80-90 Mem No: 1575

Re: warning light

Post by hippy chick »

Hi Midlifecrisis just to let you know i have been tinkering . now when i put a pice of wire on back of temp gauge live then ground it the needle goes right up. no flashing light though. and the needle still only passes the white after running for half hour . i now wonder did i get the right temp sensor from brickwerks. jen

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

hippy chick wrote:Hi Midlifecrisis just to let you know i have been tinkering . now when i put a pice of wire on back of temp gauge live then ground it the needle goes right up. no flashing light though. and the needle still only passes the white after running for half hour . i now wonder did i get the right temp sensor from brickwerks. jen
OK - so (using the below pic for reference);

When you connect a wire from the 'Temp Signal' terminal to ground the needle goes to the full right position (i.e. indicating very hot! on the gauge) but the red light doesn't flash.
1) so we can conclude that the red light is not working as it should flash when the needle goes beyond a certain position - and if the needle is going to the full right position then the light should flash but it isn't.
2) it does sound that you may have the wrong temp sensor that perhaps has a wider temp range than it should so it is causing the gauge to read a low temp when it should show a medium temp (and so forth).
Do you know which temp sensor you got from Brickwerks? (part number?)

It's also possible that your engine ground connector is introducing a resistance into the circuit (or the wire(s) or the connector(s) etc). But knowing the sensor type that you ordered will help as a starter?
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

hippy chick
80-90 Mem No: 1575

Post by hippy chick »

Hi Midlife crisis
Sorr i have not got back sooner. I fitted the new sensor yesterday still no light and gauge dont move far. the part no is 049 919 501 c603 , it is the same one i got from brickwerks looking at it . I did take the gauge to bits to try to get to red light but found you cant get to it lol . The ground in the engine bay that goes fron the near the sensor is screwed to the engine block . I have tried to undo the bolt to clean it but can not move it, so i was thinking of cutting the wire and making a new ground. If that dont workn think i mat put after market one in for peace of mind till i can find another temp gauge. jen

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

hippy chick wrote:Hi Midlife crisis
Sorr i have not got back sooner. I fitted the new sensor yesterday still no light and gauge dont move far. the part no is 049 919 501 c603 , it is the same one i got from brickwerks looking at it . I did take the gauge to bits to try to get to red light but found you cant get to it lol . The ground in the engine bay that goes fron the near the sensor is screwed to the engine block . I have tried to undo the bolt to clean it but can not move it, so i was thinking of cutting the wire and making a new ground. If that dont workn think i mat put after market one in for peace of mind till i can find another temp gauge. jen
Have you tried grounding the sensor wire at the sensor end to see if the gauge moves - it's possible that the wire (or something between the sensor and the gauge) needs cleaning up.
And yes - as you say - you could also try cutting the ground wire and creating a new ground path for the sensor.
But try grounding the signal wire first (in the engine bay) and see how much gauge movement you get (obviously with the ignition on).
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG