Installing new electrics? Which unit?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Funbus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Installing new electrics? Which unit?

Post by Funbus »

Hi all. I'm in the process of converting a panel van into a high top camper.

I'm not sure which unit to use for the electrics. I want 240v hook up but also 12v for some wild camping.

There seems to be lots of different units. I've been thinking zig and in particular the cf8.

Would this be a good option and what did the original campets have in.

I'm no electrician but will give it a go.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: Installing new electrics? Which unit?

Post by ghost123uk »

Personally I would not bother with a Zig unit. (there was a similar thread recently and most folk agreed).

Just fit :-

Split charge relay with Fridge take off terminal.

Accessory fuse box, with as many fuses as you think you need (then add 2 more ;)) Fit it near the leisure battery.

Mains input socket feeding an RCD (safety device) and a couple of 13A sockets (or just a good quality extension lead)

Intelligent charger (say ~10 Amp). This can be hard wired onto the leisure battery and the output of the 240V RCD. It will then automatically charge when on mains hook up.

The above is :-

Simpler than fitting a Zig.
Cheaper.
Easier to understand.
Easier to alter later.
Easier to fault find.
Takes up less space (no big "control panel")
Is "automatic" requiring no switch flicking.

Oh, and seriously consider fitting one of THESE to protect your leisure battery and lengthen it's life considerably.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

LeeME3
80-90 Mem No: 11225

Post by LeeME3 »

WHS ^^^^
1986 1.9DG WBX LPG, 4 spd manual. Westy poptop. Renogy lithium leisure. 175W solar. CR50 fridge. Propex. RX8 seats.

The Bishop
80-90 Mem No: 10021

Post by The Bishop »

/\/\/\ Thats how ours is set up as well although I don't have a charger wired in. In fact I don't remember the last time I had an electrical hook up connected. With a liesure battery and driving somewhere most some days the alternator seems to keep mine topped up.
1986 1.9 Petrol/LPG with Devon pop up.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Personally, I think interior electrics are best set up for wild camping, using/buying items that are low-consumption. That way you can charge up when hooked up (or at home) and you should be good for a few days off the grid with heating and lighting although these days I use portable LED lanterns and rechargeable batteries for them.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Funbus

Post by Funbus »

Cheers all. I think there may have been something like this rigged up before I took the engine out. It looked like a right cowboy job though with wires all over t' place. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Funbus

Post by Funbus »

This is what was jammed in a Tupperware box behind leasure battery. Not the most professional looking job