Cable routing for radio wired to leisure battery

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JackE
80-90 Mem No: 12479

Cable routing for radio wired to leisure battery

Post by JackE »

I found the guide in the wiki, link below I just wondered how simple the cable routing is, i.e. how do I get the cable from the back of the radio under the passenger seat?
Many thanks

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ca ... re_battery
1.9 DG petrol and open loop LPG Autosleeper Hightop. 1988

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: Cable routing for radio wired to leisure battery

Post by ghost123uk »

Under the cab mat is the simple answer :)

However, if you can go to the auto factors (Motorworld etc) and get some of the red and black twin core that has another layer of plastic insulation over it, like the mains wire on a table lamp etc, in fact you could use that and it has a brown wire and a blue wire in it, on a vehicle you use the brown as earth and the blue as live. The reason I recommend this "double insulated" type of cable is because it is much less prone to chaffing through. Mind you, you will be fitting a fuse at the battery end of course ;)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

I'm planning on doing this to mine (eventually) but I have had a thought (or more a nagging doubt) that my header unit (like most these days) requires a constant power supply for preset memory etc. The switching the power source would mean the power is interrupted, albeit briefly and the settings would be lost.

I haven't experimented yet to see if residual power in the circuit would cover this but seems logical to me.

My thoughts then turned to having the radio running purely from the leisure battery and not the main at all.
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

ianders
80-90 Mem No: 13417

Post by ianders »

Jim San wrote:I'm planning on doing this to mine (eventually) but I have had a thought (or more a nagging doubt) that my header unit (like most these days) requires a constant power supply for preset memory etc. The switching the power source would mean the power is interrupted, albeit briefly and the settings would be lost.

I haven't experimented yet to see if residual power in the circuit would cover this but seems logical to me.

My thoughts then turned to having the radio running purely from the leisure battery and not the main at all.

I'd imagine you'd be able to wire in a capacitor to provide the residual power required?
1.9 DG 1987 High Top

billybigspud
80-90 Mem No: 9454

Post by billybigspud »

Jim San wrote:I'm planning on doing this to mine (eventually) but I have had a thought (or more a nagging doubt) that my header unit (like most these days) requires a constant power supply for preset memory etc. The switching the power source would mean the power is interrupted, albeit briefly and the settings would be lost.

This would be ideal.Especially if you are running a split charge system

Jim San

Post by Jim San »

billybigspud wrote: This would be ideal.Especially if you are running a split charge system

That would be how i'd have it yes :ok There is no split charge system i yet - it's something i'd like to do myself but i'm not very good when it comes to that sort of thing :oops:
I went to try and wore the new head unit the other day - I just ended up staring at wires :shock:

Regards putting a capacitor in line, I know the theory but I wouldnt know where to begin

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

In the end its probably best to fit a small 4-way fusebox wired to the leisure that you can screw close to stock fusebox. Thats what I did as I found I wanted other items at the front running from the leisure battery including a ciggy socket with a USB outlet. You only need the live (positive feed from leisure) cable as earth is common to both batteries.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Jim San

Post by Jim San »

CovKid wrote:In the end its probably best to fit a small 4-way fusebox wired to the leisure that you can screw close to stock fusebox. Thats what I did as I found I wanted other items at the front running from the leisure battery including a ciggy socket with a USB outlet. You only need the live (positive feed from leisure) cable as earth is common to both batteries.

Just the ticket, thats what I want to do - 12v power sockets, radio, cb etc. :ok