Volt Meter Issue

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Verne
80-90 Mem No: 13453

Volt Meter Issue

Post by Verne »

Sometime in his previous life, Keif had 2 volt meters fitted. One for the main battery and another for the leisure battery.

Unfortunately, they are on permanently and therefore always taking power. Can anyone point me in the right direction to sort it so that they only indicate the power in the batteries when the ignition is on.

TIA
Verne

KEIF - '87 1.9DG T25 Tin-Top Camper
LILIBUG - '67 1200 Beetle resto project

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Volt Meter Issue

Post by itchyfeet »

A manual switch is whats needed :D
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Also depends what kind of voltmeter. My digital one draws so little it doesn't matter.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

I fitted one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RS-12-miniatu ... 43ca414c51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; wired it to the ignition and the supply to each meter switched seperatly. Works bril.
2.1 Twin slider

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Simple relay ........
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Verne wrote:Can anyone point me in the right direction to sort it so that they only indicate the power in the batteries when the ignition is on.

Aye, but bear in mind, when the ignition is on (and motor running) the two batteries are connected together and so the readings will / should be the same on both. However, you may well want to know the state of the leisure battery when the ignition is OFF, ie when actually using it ;)

If your meters are pulling too much current (and as Ralph says, some don't) then, for the leisure one, a simple "push to make" button type switch (Maplin/Ebay etc) would be a good idea.

And for the main battery one, simply find a wire that "comes live" when the ignition is on. The feed to the headlight switch could be used, though it could read a bit low when the lights are on. Or, as Mocki says, you could fit a little relay, and if you are careful where you take the feed to the meter from (separate wire from battery is ideal) then that would give the most accurate reading ;)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

I've used one of these from RS.

In position 'I" it shows the starter battery, in position 'II' it shows the leisure battery, and in the middle ('0') position it's off.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

That is very good :)

But, Verne has two meters already fitted, so the wiring of such a switch does not lend itself (easily) to such a set up :wink: (unless removing one of the meters is an option ?)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

ghost123uk wrote:
Verne wrote:Can anyone point me in the right direction to sort it so that they only indicate the power in the batteries when the ignition is on.

Aye, but bear in mind, when the ignition is on (and motor running) the two batteries are connected together and so the readings will / should be the same on both. However, you may well want to know the state of the leisure battery when the ignition is OFF, ie when actually using it ;)

If your meters are pulling too much current (and as Ralph says, some don't) then, for the leisure one, a simple "push to make" button type switch (Maplin/Ebay etc) would be a good idea.

And for the main battery one, simply find a wire that "comes live" when the ignition is on. The feed to the headlight switch could be used, though it could read a bit low when the lights are on. Or, as Mocki says, you could fit a little relay, and if you are careful where you take the feed to the meter from (separate wire from battery is ideal) then that would give the most accurate reading ;)

If you wire it as I suggested,
With ign on but not started. You get both bat voltages as they are not connected together no split charge connection
With engine running. You are checking both batts are charging
2.1 Twin slider

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

ghost123uk wrote: But, Verne has two meters already fitted, so the wiring of such a switch does not lend itself (easily) to such a set up :wink:

Oops - missed that!
Last edited by CJH on 09 Jun 2014, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

nicq wrote: If you wire it as I suggested,
With ign on but not started. You get both bat voltages as they are not connected together no split charge connection
With engine running. You are checking both batts are charging

This is true, but you would not get a reading from the leisure battery when you most need it, ie when parked up camping.

Verne
80-90 Mem No: 13453

Post by Verne »

Thanks guys, I like the push button option for the leisure battery, so may try a combination of relay and button - if I can get it right in my head :?
Verne

KEIF - '87 1.9DG T25 Tin-Top Camper
LILIBUG - '67 1200 Beetle resto project

ScienceBoy
80-90 Mem No: 11736

Post by ScienceBoy »

Just to verify the relay idea, it's there so the meters only get powered when the ignition is on? And this to eliminate any power consumption when laid up?
1988 Hightop
1.9 DG Petrol

ScienceBoy
80-90 Mem No: 11736

Post by ScienceBoy »

Are folks using two wire or three wire versions? The Chinese translation didn't really explain the third wire clearly :s
1988 Hightop
1.9 DG Petrol

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

The 3 wire ones are for when the meter is going to be asked to read voltages well away from 12 Volts. The main power wire supplies 12 Volts to run the circuits, the other wire monitors the voltage you wish to read, which can be say 3 Volts, or maybe 30 Volts etc.