Volt Meter Issue

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Verne
Posts: 170
Joined: 20 Jun 2008, 19:41
80-90 Mem No: 13453
Location: Kidderminster

Volt Meter Issue

Post by Verne »

Sometime in his previous life, Keif had 2 volt meters fitted. One for the main battery and another for the leisure battery.

Unfortunately, they are on permanently and therefore always taking power. Can anyone point me in the right direction to sort it so that they only indicate the power in the batteries when the ignition is on.

TIA
Verne

KEIF - '87 1.9DG T25 Tin-Top Camper
LILIBUG - '67 1200 Beetle resto project

User avatar
itchyfeet
Posts: 12387
Joined: 23 Jul 2007, 17:24
80-90 Mem No: 12733
Location: South Hampshire

Re: Volt Meter Issue

Post by itchyfeet »

A manual switch is whats needed :D
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

User avatar
CovKid
Trader
Posts: 8389
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 13:19
80-90 Mem No: 3529
Location: Ralph - Nuneaton
Contact:

Re: Volt Meter Issue

Post by CovKid »

Also depends what kind of voltmeter. My digital one draws so little it doesn't matter.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

User avatar
nicq
Posts: 1013
Joined: 24 Sep 2011, 19:03
80-90 Mem No: 10290
Location: Cranleigh Surrey

Re: Volt Meter Issue

Post by nicq »

I fitted one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RS-12-miniatu ... 43ca414c51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; wired it to the ignition and the supply to each meter switched seperatly. Works bril.
2.1 Twin slider

User avatar
Mocki
Membership Admin
Posts: 15263
Joined: 29 Sep 2005, 09:27
80-90 Mem No: 428
Location: Mansfield tel/txt 07947137911
Contact:

Re: Volt Meter Issue

Post by Mocki »

Simple relay ........
Steve
tel / txt 07947137911
Image
just one shade of very fast grey
________________

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper

User avatar
ghost123uk
Posts: 6837
Joined: 10 Mar 2006, 10:15
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.
Contact:

Re: Volt Meter Issue

Post by ghost123uk »

Verne wrote:Can anyone point me in the right direction to sort it so that they only indicate the power in the batteries when the ignition is on.

Aye, but bear in mind, when the ignition is on (and motor running) the two batteries are connected together and so the readings will / should be the same on both. However, you may well want to know the state of the leisure battery when the ignition is OFF, ie when actually using it ;)

If your meters are pulling too much current (and as Ralph says, some don't) then, for the leisure one, a simple "push to make" button type switch (Maplin/Ebay etc) would be a good idea.

Image

And for the main battery one, simply find a wire that "comes live" when the ignition is on. The feed to the headlight switch could be used, though it could read a bit low when the lights are on. Or, as Mocki says, you could fit a little relay, and if you are careful where you take the feed to the meter from (separate wire from battery is ideal) then that would give the most accurate reading ;)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

User avatar
CJH
Posts: 3018
Joined: 15 Jul 2013, 06:51
80-90 Mem No: 12576
Location: Nottingham

Re: Volt Meter Issue

Post by CJH »

I've used one of these from RS.

Image

In position 'I" it shows the starter battery, in position 'II' it shows the leisure battery, and in the middle ('0') position it's off.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

User avatar
ghost123uk
Posts: 6837
Joined: 10 Mar 2006, 10:15
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.
Contact:

Re: Volt Meter Issue

Post by ghost123uk »

That is very good :)

But, Verne has two meters already fitted, so the wiring of such a switch does not lend itself (easily) to such a set up :wink: (unless removing one of the meters is an option ?)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

User avatar
nicq
Posts: 1013
Joined: 24 Sep 2011, 19:03
80-90 Mem No: 10290
Location: Cranleigh Surrey

Re: Volt Meter Issue

Post by nicq »

ghost123uk wrote:
Verne wrote:Can anyone point me in the right direction to sort it so that they only indicate the power in the batteries when the ignition is on.

Aye, but bear in mind, when the ignition is on (and motor running) the two batteries are connected together and so the readings will / should be the same on both. However, you may well want to know the state of the leisure battery when the ignition is OFF, ie when actually using it ;)

If your meters are pulling too much current (and as Ralph says, some don't) then, for the leisure one, a simple "push to make" button type switch (Maplin/Ebay etc) would be a good idea.

Image

And for the main battery one, simply find a wire that "comes live" when the ignition is on. The feed to the headlight switch could be used, though it could read a bit low when the lights are on. Or, as Mocki says, you could fit a little relay, and if you are careful where you take the feed to the meter from (separate wire from battery is ideal) then that would give the most accurate reading ;)

If you wire it as I suggested,
With ign on but not started. You get both bat voltages as they are not connected together no split charge connection
With engine running. You are checking both batts are charging
2.1 Twin slider

User avatar
CJH
Posts: 3018
Joined: 15 Jul 2013, 06:51
80-90 Mem No: 12576
Location: Nottingham

Re: Volt Meter Issue

Post by CJH »

ghost123uk wrote: But, Verne has two meters already fitted, so the wiring of such a switch does not lend itself (easily) to such a set up :wink:

Oops - missed that!
Last edited by CJH on 09 Jun 2014, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

User avatar
ghost123uk
Posts: 6837
Joined: 10 Mar 2006, 10:15
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.
Contact:

Re: Volt Meter Issue

Post by ghost123uk »

nicq wrote: If you wire it as I suggested,
With ign on but not started. You get both bat voltages as they are not connected together no split charge connection
With engine running. You are checking both batts are charging

This is true, but you would not get a reading from the leisure battery when you most need it, ie when parked up camping.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Verne
Posts: 170
Joined: 20 Jun 2008, 19:41
80-90 Mem No: 13453
Location: Kidderminster

Re: Volt Meter Issue

Post by Verne »

Thanks guys, I like the push button option for the leisure battery, so may try a combination of relay and button - if I can get it right in my head :?
Verne

KEIF - '87 1.9DG T25 Tin-Top Camper
LILIBUG - '67 1200 Beetle resto project

User avatar
ScienceBoy
Posts: 225
Joined: 14 Sep 2012, 18:56
80-90 Mem No: 11736
Location: New Forest

Re: Volt Meter Issue

Post by ScienceBoy »

Just to verify the relay idea, it's there so the meters only get powered when the ignition is on? And this to eliminate any power consumption when laid up?
1988 Hightop
1.9 Petrol

User avatar
ScienceBoy
Posts: 225
Joined: 14 Sep 2012, 18:56
80-90 Mem No: 11736
Location: New Forest

Re: Volt Meter Issue

Post by ScienceBoy »

Are folks using two wire or three wire versions? The Chinese translation didn't really explain the third wire clearly :s
1988 Hightop
1.9 Petrol

User avatar
ghost123uk
Posts: 6837
Joined: 10 Mar 2006, 10:15
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.
Contact:

Re: Volt Meter Issue

Post by ghost123uk »

The 3 wire ones are for when the meter is going to be asked to read voltages well away from 12 Volts. The main power wire supplies 12 Volts to run the circuits, the other wire monitors the voltage you wish to read, which can be say 3 Volts, or maybe 30 Volts etc.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Locked