Does my "leisure battery" need replacing?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

davidw
80-90 Mem No: 13556

Does my "leisure battery" need replacing?

Post by davidw »

I plugged our camper in to mains hookup for the first time yesterday and after a minute or so I noticed a funny smell. Went over to the "leisure battery" and could hear a hissing sound. I switched off the charger and the let fumes disperse then took out the multimeter.

With no charging taking place the battery was showing 8.45 volts. I switched on the mains charger again and it read 11.6 and quickly increased up to about 12.15 and then much more slowely increased for a while before I chickened out and switched it off again.

The battery label says Freedom Standard maintenance free calcium. S68AL 12V 68Ah. I can't find out much information about the battery online. I've no idea how old it is.

I think the charger is fairly new, installed in 2010. It's a Plug in Systems, Volta Intelligent 3-Stage 18 amp Leisure Battery Charger, CTSAN/18A. I don't have a manual and can't find one online :-( the intertubes are failing me today. It does have a mode switch on the side (float or 3 stage) that was set to float for the above readings. I changed it to 3 stage to today and was then reading 13.6v while charging and the hissing seemed to be a little less although that could have been my imagination and it was definitely still there.

Is the battery beyond use? if not can I just open all the windows and let it charge in the van? or should I get a dedicated charger and charge it more slowly?
1985 LHD Westy Joker pop top, 1.6TD, 5 spd.

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: Does my "leisure battery" need replacing?

Post by AdrianC »

davidw wrote:With no charging taking place the battery was showing 8.45 volts.

How long's it been sat flat?

I switched on the mains charger again and it read 11.6 and quickly increased up to about 12.15 and then much more slowely increased for a while before I chickened out and switched it off again.

It should be reading about 13-14v to charge a 12v battery properly - and that's what the battery'll be getting from the alternator with the engine running, too, assuming there's a split-charge in place.

The battery label says Freedom Standard maintenance free calcium. S68AL 12V 68Ah. I can't find out much information about the battery online. I've no idea how old it is.

I think the charger is fairly new, installed in 2010. It's a Plug in Systems, Volta Intelligent 3-Stage 18 amp Leisure Battery Charger, CTSAN/18A.

18A is a BIG charger for a small 68Ah battery. But, being an intelligent charger, it should cope. You certainly shouldn't get any big fat hissiness. I suspect the battery's dead, maybe a dead cell internally, which'd mean that the charge voltage is way OTT for what's effectively a 10v battery.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

8 3/4 volts is a dead, and scrap it battery.
Most chargers would simply not see it as a 12 volt battery and not even try.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Hissing and gassing...likely the battery has boiled dry. Is this a sealed battery or does it have removable tops? It is almost certainly cream crackered.
And as others have said....an 18 amp charger is a pretty powerful unit for a single 62 ah battery.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Scrap it and get a new one. Standard batteries are going cheap at the moment.

davidw

Post by davidw »

AdrianC wrote: How long's it been sat flat?

I'm not sure but I suspect a long time. We bought it about a month ago and I drove it back to Ireland from Manchester. Before that it was SORNed and I doubt it had moved much for the best part of a year.

California Dreamin wrote:Hissing and gassing...likely the battery has boiled dry. Is this a sealed battery or does it have removable tops? It is almost certainly cream crackered.

It's sealed and I can hear some liquid swishing around if I tip it.

Sounds like I need a new one so. That's ok, I just didn't want to waste the money if it just needed charging.

Thanks for the advice.

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

And note, if that battery sits under a front seat, then conventional leisure batteries are usually too big to fit. So most of us use a normal battery instead. Check the dimensions of your old battery including it's height before buying a replacement too. Happy camping!
:ok

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Of course our wiki has lots of information about buying leisure batteries ;) LINK
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

California Dreamin wrote:Hissing and gassing...likely the battery has boiled dry. Is this a sealed battery or does it have removable tops? It is almost certainly cream crackered.

Quote: It's sealed and I can hear some liquid swishing around if I tip it.

It is interesting how the manufacturers have made the decision to 'seal' battery cells and call the battery 'Maintenance Free'
Whilst I fully understand that 'modern' battery chemistry has changed and with those changes the batteries use much less water they still use it all the same.
In the name of 'LOW MAINTENANCE' and reduced servicing costs, batteries have been sealed because they know that in most cases the battery will function without topping up for a predetermined time.....
It really annoys me to think, for the sake of removable caps and a once yearly top up, many of these batteries could enjoy a much longer service life.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

sealed batteries make you buy more batteries.
flooded batteries last years longer properly maintained...not good for manufacturers :roll:
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

davidw

Post by davidw »

Ralf85 wrote:And note, if that battery sits under a front seat, then conventional leisure batteries are usually too big to fit. So most of us use a normal battery instead. Check the dimensions of your old battery including it's height before buying a replacement too. Happy camping!
:ok
Yes, the local battery supplier doesn't have a leisure battery of that size in stock. He had a standard battery that size but said he wouldn't recommend it. I'd also be a bit worried about it gassing in the living space but maybe that's just me being paranoid. I don't have that much practical experience so maybe they just don't give off that much gas under normal operation. It seems like lots of people use them without issue.

ghost123uk wrote:Of course our wiki has lots of information about buying leisure batteries ;) LINK
Yes I read all the pages on the wiki. It's a great resource and I always check it (as well as the googles) before asking :-)

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

davidw wrote:I'd also be a bit worried about it gassing in the living space but maybe that's just me being paranoid.

A battery won't gas unless it's duff and/or being overcharged.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;