Installing second cab courtesy light

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Installing second cab courtesy light

Post by silverbullet »

I have been told that on "C" spec vans - and those that only have a driver's courtesy lamp - the wiring for a second passenger lamp is already in the roof but may take a bit of fishing out. True or not? I have carefully cut the headliner and popped out the blanking plate but can't find any wire tails...

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Installing second cab courtesy light

Post by lloydy »

I had to run new cables over on mine. Door switch on passenger side was there and wired to the driver side light.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

What's a C spec van?
I want to fit the extra one as well but also can't find any wiring.
It looks like it's going to be a PITA feeding new wires through the roof lining.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Caravelle C. Basic spec, CL's and GL's had twin cab lights I think (probably cost option, VW all the way as per) This one hasn't even got a passenger side switch, just a blanking cap.

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

I'd wire it down the A pillar and through the dash, to a separate positive on the back of the fuse box. I replaced my westy wiring to the drivers courtesy using the old wiring to pull through the new, but with the right fishing tool I'd guess it could be done.

Easy to see if the wires are there already though, see if there is anything disappearing up the passenger a pillar already! even though the lower specced vans don't have the unit fitted they usually share the loom with higher specced vans as it was cheaper for the factory to install one loom across the range.
member 1168

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Hacksawbob wrote:Easy to see if the wires are there already though, see if there is anything disappearing up the passenger a pillar already! even though the lower specced vans don't have the unit fitted they usually share the loom with higher specced vans as it was cheaper for the factory to install one loom across the range.
That's what I had been told. Should have opened the glovebox and used a torch! I have a sparkie's nylon fish tape so I could feed it in the top end.
Thanks guys, I'll let you know what I find.

Woodyyellow
80-90 Mem No: 11769

Post by Woodyyellow »

Hi. 
Hope this is of some help,  I've got my van striped out at the moment so quite easy to see the wires.
This is the view behind my fuse box (1987 - 1.9 petrol) and the feed wire and earth are easily seen. The red feed comes from the junction that also feeds of to radio etc.
I don't have passenger light in mine, but the wires run to feed the light in top bunk and over the kitchen, or they did, now striped out for refurbishing. I can see the wires running over the sliding door and they eventually exit the roof channel above the rear window.

:)
Cheers
John
1987 1.9 WBX DG Hi-Top. Soon to be Subaru ej20

I'm an old guy but I still learn new stuff!

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Hi Jon.
Thanks for the pics, all familiar looking stuff! The rear light (which my caravelle does have) is fed from the drivers side, which on rhd vans is via wires which cross over the roof in the cab headlining iirc. Those wires must go somewhere...

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by poshbuggers »

I need to do this also. Mine has a single light over the driver and the rear light on the passenger side but it's a panel van. I need to rip the cab roof lining out to fit some cables for the TV so I will post my findings tomorrow.

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

with my head lining out fitting a passenger courtesy light took 20 mins
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Let the passenger sit in the dark. It'll only give them an air of superiority if you give them a light of their own to play with. :rofl

Actually, I fitted a light under the glovebox to light up the floor on the passenger side. All the passenger ever does is lose stuff on the floor. I got fed up of them scrabbling around so fitted a 12v neon. They can also look at their shoes if they get bored.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by poshbuggers »

I found a loom which looks like factory. It's in a flexible black tube with a white line along it and has a brown, red and black wire within.

It goes back to the passenger side rear where there is a recess for an additional courtesy light. Does anyone know what the black wire (inside a yellow terminal cover) does?

When tested the red is live, the brown is switched at the sliding door switch. Someone has added and additional brown earth to the body to create a permanent live (is this what the black should be for?).

I can't see that it goes to the passenger side so I will run a separate one from this forward to it.

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

poshbuggers wrote:Someone has added and additional brown earth to the body to create a permanent live.
You mean a permanent -ve ground/earth rather than +ve 'live'?

That does sound like courtesy light cabling; permanent live to courtesy light +ve (lamp), door switched -ve earth to one courtesy light switch connction so light comes on when door opens if switch in that position and permanent -ve earth to other courtesy light switch terminal so light comes on regardless of door open/closed if switch is in that position.
If the permanent 12v +ve red dies when fuse 3 is removed then I reckon that's your baby.
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

danmetallic
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11955

Post by danmetallic »

I did this mod last year. Just took wires from the drivers side over the headliner to the passenger side in the end. Here's the thread http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=123771" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 VW T25 Westfalia Club Joker, 2.1 iDJ

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

danmetallic wrote:Just took wires from the drivers side over the headliner to the passenger side in the end.
That's what I did. Autohomes had already fitted a switch in the passenger door to operate the driver's side courtesy light so straight forward really.
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!