Radiator fuse

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Radiator fuse

Post by CovKid »

Had this prob for a while but could never nail the cause. Radiator fan, works off a relay and appears to run ok but despite this, it heats up wires to fusebox and fuse. They definately feel warm at fusebox - more than I'd feel happy with and sometimes it'll take out fuse. I'm assuming faulty relay then - or some other cause?

Anyway, today I removed relay and cleaned contacts. I'm hoping that will sort it. Anyone else had this?
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Radiator fuse

Post by itchyfeet »

Early fusebox?
corroded contacts cause heat where they are corroded but actually reduce the current in the circuit so should not blow fuses and should not heat good contacts and wires.

my money is on worn insulation somewhere causing a partial short to body which takes extra current when fan is on
measure the current when fan is on
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Radiator fuse

Post by CovKid »

Aye. Quite right. I suppose it could also be ropey earth too. I could understand it if the fan was running without a relay but it shouldn't be getting as hot as that just on the feed circuit. I cleaned up relay contacts and for now I've pulled it from the fusebox and put it on its own blade fuse so I can monitor it for a few days. Last thing I need is a dysfunctional fan - especially in traffic!

Otherwise I'll check the earth crown.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.