Starting problems

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bestonestaken
80-90 Mem No: 0

Starting problems

Post by bestonestaken »

My petrol wc 4 sp has always started and run very well. However the other day it failed to turn over when I tried to start it. The battery was fully charged and I heard various relays clicking in the dashboard, but the engine did not turn over. I called the AA, but then about 10 minutes later I tried again and the motor started with no problems. It ha since started fine on the couple of times I have tried it since then. I have had issues with my leisure battery failing to charge recrnrly, don't know if this is connected? Help.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Starting problems

Post by CovKid »

Crawl underneath and check all connections on starter. Also the earth braid (hard to see) between solenoid and starter body can corrode giving "will start" "won't start" scenarios if its only got a few strands left. Finally. carbon brushes in starter may only be making contact 'some' of the time but that would ge an overhaul job.

Check obvious stuff like battery connections.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

I would clean all the starter connections till they shine...
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

As Kev says, clean connections are important. I recently put up a WIKI article about the deterioration that can occur on starter/alternator cable:

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/VW ... ain_cables" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My old starter used to have certain points inside where the connection between brushes and commutator were poor leading to the occasional random non-start. Starter will generally work great until the bushes wear right down and then it gets temperamental from then on. The other culprit is poor connections or a damaged earth braid on starter. A completely non-responsive starter is usually because the small spade connector on starter has come off but if you get a definate click from solenoid, suspect above.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Don't forget to take the positive (red) lead off the main battery before using any tools on the starter and associated cables ;) Safety is VERY important when dealing with lead/acid batteries and hundreds of amps !
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here