corroded connectors

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

corroded connectors

Post by scottbott »

had to remove a headlamp today as it was damp inside and I wanted to dry it out before trying to seal the small hole in the lens when I has a look at some of the connectors in the multiplugs and they all looked pretty manky with corrosion on just about every lucar terminal.I removed one to replace and decided to clean it up with a wire brush and order some of the 'latched' type of connectors and I also noticed when I removed some insulation off a wire the wire was not shiny but very dull,I think that I will also order a load of the brown wire and replace all of it between both headlights with the new connectors,just was wondering if that wire runs through the big grommet in the bulkhead to the fusebox? and whether it would be advisable to replace all the brown cable right up to the fuse box,makes you wonder what ALL the connectors are like as my wiring looks pretty sound visually,all insulators etc look good,may be making a lot of work for myself
Nil carborundum illegitimi

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Re: corroded connectors

Post by Hacksawbob »

IIRC brown is just earth so doesnt need to go back to the fusebox they just did i that way to make wiring it up in the factory easier, so you could make a local earth to the body work for each light, but it is tricky getting a drill in there. Salt and water eating away at the fronts will take its toll eventually. If the connector is good I'd leave the wiring unless experiencing issues.
member 1168

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

Use it as an excuse to make an upgraded loom , using the existing wiring to trigger a pair of relays :?: Brown is earth :ok

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

I have not had any problems with the lights as yet I was just suprised how crappy everything looked,I suppose I could just give everything a really good clean up with a wire brush and put a protective grease on all connections
Nil carborundum illegitimi

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Yep!
:ok