solar panel wiring

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ray
80-90 Mem No: 94

solar panel wiring

Post by Ray »

Just fitted a 40w panel to the roof of the van and an preparing to wire to controller and battery, It would be easier wiring to the leisure battery by wiring through the cf9 zig as fuses at battery end and wire of correct gauge etc are there already and the roof entry is next to the zig. Is this OK to do or should I wire separately.
Ray
2.1dj RHD syncro

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: solar panel wiring

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Personally I would (and have gone direct to the battery on 2 vans and a boat), the less joins the better IMHO to cut out any possible voltage drop points.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

I generally totally agree with what OBG says :) but this time I only partially agree :lol: With just 3 Amps of current available, as long as you make all the connections neat and sound, I don't see owt wrong with connecting to the Zig panel.

Aside = imho you don't need a charge controller with a 40W panel. 40W is only 3Amps and that won't (again imho) overcharge a leisure battery. No harm in fitting it of course, and in fact some of them have some fancy circuits that optimise charging levels.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Ray
80-90 Mem No: 94

Post by Ray »

Thanks for the input, decided to wire to zig leisure battery point, saved a lot of trouble and seems to be working great, Can always rewire if unsatisfactory
Ray
2.1dj RHD syncro