What if turn ignition when only leisure battery connected?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

petervw
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: What if turn ignition when only leisure battery connected?

Post by petervw »

Thanks Martin.

The leisure battery wiring diaram posted in the Wiki seems to be the 'wrong type', with the 87 terminals permanentlhy corrected. My wiring colours seem to match this one.

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ca ... y_charging" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

petervw

Post by petervw »

New question:

OK, I got the 'correct' version in our local DIY.

I know which two cables were connected to the 87 terminals (neither labelled 'a'). Looking at the diagrams, It seems as if it doesn't matter which of these I connect to 87 or 87a. Is that right?

petervw

Post by petervw »

New relay installed. Now it seems to be working as it should.

And now I'm left wondering what the leisure battery is for? To run the water pump to the sink and to help the fridge along a bit.

Now I need to start looking at connecting the interior lights and radio, and ideally something to charge the ipad/iphone.

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

petervw wrote:New relay installed. Now it seems to be working as it should.

And now I'm left wondering what the leisure battery is for? To run the water pump to the sink and to help the fridge along a bit.

Now I need to start looking at connecting the interior lights and radio, and ideally something to charge the ipad/iphone.
Glad you're got it all working now!
I think you've answered your own question - leisure battery should supply power to anything that you use while the vehicle is parked up (i.e. while you're at a campsite with the engine not running) - so things like water pump, interior lights, charging sockets, TVs, DVD players, chocolate fountain machine (you know, the usual camping stuff).

Not sure what you mean by 'to help the fridge along a bit' - the leisure battery shouldn't have anything to do with the fridge (except that you might connect the 'fridge gas ignitor circuit' to the leisure battery).

Hope that helps.
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Oh dear....I hope I am wrong but it seems you have now purchased a 'Change over' relay...which basically switches between 87 and 87a...completely the wrong relay

Print out THE PICTURE BELOW and take it to your supplier.. as you can see if you look at the picture, 87 & 87b both become live at the same time (which is correct)

The original Westy one was 30/20 amp rated and unfortunately the heaviest you find now tend to be 20/20 on the two outputs..thats why I suggested the Durite/Lucas relays on a previous thread.

This is the upgraded one I was talking about.....I know it means changing 4 of the terminals but it is probably your best option unless you can find an original double make relay rated at 30/20 amps

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/p ... tegory/149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

petervw

Post by petervw »

Martin - you're right, I got the wrong one! Got confused with a's and b's. Off to find the right one.
What will happen if I use the wrong one?

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

petervw wrote: What will happen if I use the wrong one?

87 will be connected to the starter battery when the engine is running, but 87a will be connected when it's not. So if you just want a split charge relay then connect the leisure battery to 87. But you shouldn't connect the fridge to either since it'll be connected to one or other of your batteries even when the engine's off (87=leisure battery, 87a=starter battery).
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

petervw

Post by petervw »

Well, the mystery deepens a little. I could not find the 87b version, so bought the original type which Martin said was 'wrong' but should work ok.

After fitting, its reverted back to how it was before I started, with the leisure battery apparently connected to everthing you would expect for the starter battery, including the ignition lights.

Well, I'm off for my first weekend camping with the family since getting the van, so I'll have to come back to this.

Thanks to all for tips and advice. I'd buy the beers if I could!

printmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 11456

Post by printmonkey »

I may have a old westy relay lying around, it's yours for the cost of postage if your stuck. PM me if you want and I'll have a look for it this weekend.
US Import Vanagon GL Westfalia (Subaru EJ25)

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

petervw wrote:Well, the mystery deepens a little. I could not find the 87b version, so bought the original type which Martin said was 'wrong' but should work ok.

After fitting, its reverted back to how it was before I started, with the leisure battery apparently connected to everthing you would expect for the starter battery, including the ignition lights.
In that case....look for a wire going from the leisure battery rooted under the carpet to the fuse box (wheel arch area) this maybe a 'mod gone wrong' where the interior lights/audio are re-rooted to the leisure battery and someone picked up the wrong wire? possible.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV