Light issues

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JimmyT25
80-90 Mem No: 14160

Light issues

Post by JimmyT25 »

Hi everyone

I've just taken my van out for a spin down to exmouth and back and (being that it's a bank holiday and all) it was raining, on the way back I've turned the lights on and lots of weird things have happenend!

Without lights on the indicators work but the sidelights on the front are on very faintly

With the sidelights on the indicators come on permanently on the front but still flash at the rear and the sidelights don't come on at all

With the headlights on the indicators are on permanently all round and the headlights don't turn on at all and on the dash the 'full beam' light is on permanently whether I dip the lights or not and when I try to indicate it flashes on and off!

Now it definitely wasn't like this yesterday and I'm absolutely certain there was no problem as it went through an mot!

So I'm assuming that something has gotten wet? But what and firstly how can I fix it and secondly how can I stop it from happening again, I kind of want to be able to drive it if it's raining and/or dark :s

Jimmy

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Light issues

Post by itchyfeet »

Cleaned your earth crowns behind the fusebox recently?

sounds like bad earths to me
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

JimmyT25

Post by JimmyT25 »

Ah ok, I haven't done anything to them, the vans been off the road for about 18 months and has just been sorted recently, I will have a look tomorrow and give them a good clean up when I can see what I'm doing. Are they easy to get to?

acw
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by acw »

Hi sounds like the type of problems i was getting this winter, turned out to be the fuses - going green due to a damp over the winter.
check them first as its easy to do.

good luck

Andy
1982 air cooled 2L T25 manual Autosleeper

Andy

clinning
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by clinning »

Had similar issues with mine, was the earth crowns. Make sure you check each connection as they may look gravy but will actually be digestives. Mine just crumbled away. Clean up behind the crowns for good measure and have a butchers at the connections on the lights and bulbs themselves.
1984 Devon 1.9 DG

JimmyT25

Post by JimmyT25 »

Cleaned the earth crowns, 2 in my case bolted to the near side of the van up under the dash behind the fuse box, also cleaned up all the fuses whilst I was there!
It looks like the earth crowns had deteriorated due to the windscreen leak.
All working perfectly now. Thank you all for the help!