Solar/Zig/Alternator set up.

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Arnsporter
80-90 Mem No: 5497

Solar/Zig/Alternator set up.

Post by Arnsporter »

Apologies in advance for my ignorance :oops: but I could do with some advice please.

My camper (Holdsworth conversion) has a split charge relay set up which runs the starter battery and leisure battery as it should.
When on electric hook up the Zig unit I assume substitutes the alternator and charges both the starter battery and leisure battery as well.

I would like to add a solar panel (50W) to enable us to be self sufficient for longer than at present. I have seen the excellent job Mocki has done on here but that is way beyond my capability!

If I permanently fit the solar panel, will the charge controller be intelligent enough to recognize that the alternator is charging the batteries when travelling so no power is required.The same thing applies when on an electric hook up?
If the above is not true then I assume that some form of switch is required to isolate the solar panel to the charge controller when either the electric hook up or alternator is in use?

Is it also possible to connect the charge controller to the starter battery which will charge both the starter battery and leisure battery via the split charge relay?

There is also a load connection on the charge controller. Any suggestions what I could connect this to ?

The charge controller is a Photonic Universe PU1024 10A.
Don't $h!t on people on the way up in the world, you may meet them again on the way down.....

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Re: Solar/Zig/Alternator set up.

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

Arnsporter wrote:When on electric hook up the Zig unit I assume substitutes the alternator and charges both the starter battery and leisure battery as well.
Can't help much with the solar question but I think you'll probably find that your Zig is only charging the leisure battery when on hookup (unless it has been rewired from the usual set up).
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

Arnsporter wrote:When on electric hook up the Zig unit I assume substitutes the alternator and charges both the starter battery and leisure battery as well.
Zig only charges the leisure battery on hook up.

Can't help re solar charge controller.
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

As above ^^^

Plus

Arnsporter wrote: If I permanently fit the solar panel, will the charge controller be intelligent enough to recognize that the alternator is charging the batteries when travelling so no power is required.The same thing applies when on an electric hook up?
If the above is not true then I assume that some form of switch is required to isolate the solar panel to the charge controller when either the electric hook up or alternator is in use?

You don't need to worry about any of that. You don't need to isolate the solar panel.
The controller is not intelligent but will sit there quite happily doing little or nothing when the engine is running. It will come to no harm, nor do any harm. No switches or owt required.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Arnsporter
80-90 Mem No: 5497

Post by Arnsporter »

Thanks folks, I really appreciate the answers!
Looks like the only problem I have then is where to site it.. :ok
Don't $h!t on people on the way up in the world, you may meet them again on the way down.....