second cd van stereo broke help please!

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

flatnbroke
80-90 Mem No: 0

second cd van stereo broke help please!

Post by flatnbroke »

I have put two stereos in my van and after a couple of weeks they still turn on and the cd will spin but i get no sound at all any suggestions why. :?:
Spend it where you have to save it where you can.....

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Re: second cd van stereo broke help please!

Post by pirate-pete »

What was in before and did that work?

Do the speakers work or has the speaker cable been shorted out?

With the stereo out of the van will it work if you connect to 12V and a set of speakers?

What happened before a couple of weeks was up?
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

cable disconect from speaker and shorting or loose wire behind stereo?
member 1168

flatnbroke

Post by flatnbroke »

When i bought the van it had a flip front stereo but i wasnt given the front!! I havent been near any wires at all so dont understand what has caused this problem :?

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

My stereo would cut out intermittently when I first got the van. Turned out to be the jack shorting the terminals of one of the speakers in the bed base. Not had the problem since I added some insulation to those terminals.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

flatnbroke

Post by flatnbroke »

Thanks for that will have to pull dash out.does make sense being a short as most of the dash is metal.could be a nightmare finding the dodgy wire !! :(

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Pull the dash out :shock: NOoooooo.

If it was a short / break in a speaker wire, it is unlikely to affect all 4 speakers, it might affect one or even 2, as each pair, front & rear, will be driven of one output chip, so two in total. You should be able to trace the speaker wires back from the radio to the speakers quite easily without going to THAT much trouble. It should be also quite easy to replace any dodgy/old speaker wires with newer, better quality ones, thus removing any doubt regarding the existing ones. I did this recently when I fitted my new Hi-Power "mechless" head unit (see note *** below)

Does your van have a separate "front to rear" control on the dash ? If it does, these are not compatible with modern (higher power) stereos and that could blow both output chips. Just a thought.

I would change or at least check with a meter, all the speaker wires. If you set your meter to it's lowest Ohm setting and touch the prods on each pair (whilst removed from the head unit) you should hear a "click" from the relevant speaker (and NON others). Then connect one prod to a good earth and then test each of the eight speaker wires with your meter, still set to Ohms, there should be NO reading from any of them (as non of the speaker wires should be connected to earth in any way).

*** =
Mechless = no CD, just memory cards or USB sticks for your music collection. They are a really good idea and modern state of the art electronics offer better all round performance than many slightly older CD type head units. I choose a "Beat Audio" one, and can recommend it highly. It even plays movies, though the screen is a bit small for real world use, but a nice gimmick. They come with a remote control too for bedtime use :)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

flatnbroke

Post by flatnbroke »

Had a good go at it this afternoon and yes it did turn out to be a loose wire !! Many thanks for advice :D