Amp install questions

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ianders
80-90 Mem No: 13417

Amp install questions

Post by ianders »

I've got a small 2 channel amp sitting so thinking of putting it under the rear seat bench along with a couple of 6x9s.

I would like the option to switch between batteries depending whether I'm driving or parked up. Would the zig cope with the load or am I best wiring direct to battery?

Thinking of putting a switch onto the remote wire so I can run stereo with or without amp.
1.9 DG 1987 High Top

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: Amp install questions

Post by ghost123uk »

Just connect it to the leisure battery (using appropriate gauge wire for live feed and the earth return to a "bit" of bodywork). That way, assuming your split charge relay is working correctly, it will effectively run off the alternator automatically when driving :) Simples :)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

ianders

Post by ianders »

Not sure why I didn't think of that. Cheers.

Need to have a look at the wiring for the batteries as I'm not convinced it's been done correctly. Starter battery only charges from alt and leisure only charges from zig...
1.9 DG 1987 High Top

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

ianders wrote: Need to have a look at the wiring for the batteries as I'm not convinced it's been done correctly. Starter battery only charges from alt and leisure only charges from zig...

Starter battery only charging from the alternator is all good and correct, but when you say your leisure battery only charges from the Zig, do you mean it only charges when on a hook up ? (or does it charge via the Zig when driving ?)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

ianders

Post by ianders »

ghost123uk wrote:
ianders wrote: Need to have a look at the wiring for the batteries as I'm not convinced it's been done correctly. Starter battery only charges from alt and leisure only charges from zig...

Starter battery only charging from the alternator is all good and correct, but when you say your leisure battery only charges from the Zig, do you mean it only charges when on a hook up ? (or does it charge via the Zig when driving ?)

Leisure charges from zig when hooked up with main zig switch on regardless of battery selector switch position. There is some sort of relay under drivers seat, have yet to get in about it to see exactly what it is. List of jobs for the van is quite looooong...

Last day of work today for a fortnight so plan to get most things sorted next week so I can get a few days away in it the week after :)
1.9 DG 1987 High Top

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Sorry if you know this, but do you know how to (easily) check whether the split charge relay is charging the leisure battery whilst the engine is running ?

In case not (or for future searchers) when you have been for a drive and get to your destination, don't turn off the engine, leave it ticking over and test the voltage on your leisure batteries terminals with your meter. If it is anything over 13 Volts (preferably around 14 Volts) then it is working.

ianders

Post by ianders »

ghost123uk wrote:Sorry if you know this, but do you know how to (easily) check whether the split charge relay is charging the leisure battery whilst the engine is running ?

In case not (or for future searchers) when you have been for a drive and get to your destination, don't turn off the engine, leave it ticking over and test the voltage on your leisure batteries terminals with your meter. If it is anything over 13 Volts (preferably around 14 Volts) then it is working.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I've been testing it. Hooking up voltmeter then looking for an increase with engine running. Will try leaving it running for a bit and see if it makes any difference.

I think I really need to draw the circuits all out on some paper.

Thanks for all your input so far. Much appreciated!
1.9 DG 1987 High Top

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

ianders wrote: Will try leaving it running for a bit and see if it makes any difference.

You should "read" a difference straight away on starting the engine, I only mention the "after a drive" bit as that is when you can get an accurate evaluation of the charging voltage (due to the leisure battery dropping it's demand for Amps after it has been charging up for a while)

ianders wrote:I think I really need to draw the circuits all out on some paper

Nah, just "wing it", with your test meter and your common sense ;) (you can get even more confused if you start trying to do diagrams when you're not sure what is what !)

Ads1987
80-90 Mem No: 13081

Post by Ads1987 »

I've got a four channel amp connected to my leisure battery and it's running two 6x9s and will be running some other speakers when I get round to it, I've also got some tweeters on the dash because it's really back heavy with the 6x9s.

The tweets help spread the vocals, the 6x9s are very bassey when installed in the rear box box as you are making a big sub box for them basically.

I ran a remote wire from the switched live feed so it just turns on and off with the ignition, the leisure battery is charged via a simple relay that opens the circuit between the starter and leisure battery when the engine is running. This way the leisure has always got some power, the amp effectively runs off the alternator and it will not drain the system when ignition is off.

Let me know if you want any more info or pics.

Hope that helps,

Adam.
1982 T25 1.9 DG model with 4 speed box

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

All good there Adam :)

Though

Ads1987 wrote: the leisure battery is charged via a simple relay that opens the circuit between the starter and leisure battery when the engine is running.

Should read

the leisure battery is charged via a simple relay that closes the circuit between the starter and leisure battery when the engine is running.
:ok

ianders

Post by ianders »

Thanks guys. The reason behind the switch on the remote lead is so I can play music quietly when parked up without the amp and therefore prolong the battery life.

I've since had the multimeter on the zig panel and can't find any volts there from the starter battery. Next test is whether the alt charges the leisure as there is a relay under drivers seat.
1.9 DG 1987 High Top

Ads1987

Post by Ads1987 »

The leisure battery is connected to the starter battery through a switched relay so when the engine is running and the alternator is charging, the relay opens the circuit so the power sent to the starter battery from the alternator charges both batteries at the same time.
ghost123uk wrote:All good there Adam :)

Though

Ads1987 wrote: the leisure battery is charged via a simple relay that opens the circuit between the starter and leisure battery when the engine is running.

Should read

the leisure battery is charged via a simple relay that closes the circuit between the starter and leisure battery when the engine is running.

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Ads1987 wrote:The leisure battery is connected to the starter battery through a switched relay so when the engine is running and the alternator is charging, the relay opens the circuit so the power sent to the starter battery from the alternator charges both batteries at the same time.

Closes the circuit Adam ! (meant in a friendly smiley way ;)) :ok

It's the correct term, honestly, (I have been a full time electronics engineer for a lot of my life ;))

Ads1987

Post by Ads1987 »

Ah ok well I'm writing it in normal terms but yes I understand now