ICE using 4" speakers as tweeters

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

ICE using 4" speakers as tweeters

Post by Hacksawbob »

OK so I bought some cheap as chips Halfords jobs to go in the rear of the Westy and they fit fine, but they are a little anaemic. but at least the popping has gone when I put on anything whith the tiniest bit of bass in it!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_265869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am wondering though can I use them instead in the upper front door as tweeters then get a cross over and install some bassier ones lower down? Can I even buy separate crossovers and larger speakers on their own? and will my cheapo Aldi head be able to pump out the required juice to fire it?
member 1168

Jakemate
80-90 Mem No: 13382

Re: ICE using 4" speakers as tweeters

Post by Jakemate »

If your after more oooomph then my advise would be to get larger diameter speakers fitted elsewhere and then run an amp to drive them.
Use your head unit to drive the small front 4 inch you have just bought.
Larger more powerful speakers always benefit from and amp as head units normally distort as they don't have the power to drive larger speakers correctly.
Say if your head unit was 50w a channel that normally means peak output not rms which is more likely only 12w a channel.

Hope this makes sense ;)
Vw Vanagon Westfalia Hitop 1.6td always poorley ;)

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Totally agree ^^^ :ok

I got a Sony "Xplod" bass box for a real steal off Ebay a while back. It had a 250 Watt amp built in (with cross over of course) and fitted perfectly in the l/h cupboard under the bed of our old LeisureDrive (cupboard door removed of course!) It had a great sound and really "kicked ass" and took all the heavy loads off the head unit and the other small(ish) speakers. I left it in that van when I sold it. In my "main van", a Tin-Top, space is at a premium, so I bought one of those "under seat" bass boxes. No where near as "kick ass" as the Sony one, but does work well for it's size. I don't have it under the seat of course, it is discretely mounted on the front of the main furniture (and rattles the plates and cutlery when whacked up a bit :evil: :roll: )

These bass boxes with built in Amps take all the design, matching and wiring up issues away and can be got cheap second hand.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Hacksawbob

Post by Hacksawbob »

thanks I was hoping to avoid getting involved with amps, but I can see the point of getting one. what size speaker will fit in the lower door panel?
member 1168

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

Hacksawbob wrote:thanks I was hoping to avoid getting involved with amps, but I can see the point of getting one. what size speaker will fit in the lower door panel?

6" rounds are the biggest I could fit in mine.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

faggie

Post by faggie »

6x9 inch fit quite easily

Hacksawbob

Post by Hacksawbob »

OK I am going to wimp out and stick a better infinity kappa 4 inch in the fronts. Not keen on cutting up the westy trim... just yet, I'll see how it sounds. Doesn't need to handle much more than a bit of zero7 or Capercaile :) Hopefully I'll have the clearance with the dash!
member 1168

Hacksawbob

Post by Hacksawbob »

Can you post a picture of 6X9 fitted Faggie?
member 1168

Hacksawbob

Post by Hacksawbob »

Can you post a picture of 6X9 fitted Faggie?
member 1168

Jakemate
80-90 Mem No: 13382

Post by Jakemate »

I have fitted some 6.5 inch in the upper doors behind the door skin and have kept the original westy speaker grills.
Keeps it looking original but I get the better sound.
Vw Vanagon Westfalia Hitop 1.6td always poorley ;)