Battery charging charger amperage

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

yetihair
80-90 Mem No: 11447

Battery charging charger amperage

Post by yetihair »

Hello,
Will it take 12 hours to charge a 72ah with a 6a charger or doesn't it work like that for charging?
1989 Caravelle 1.9l Petrol

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: Battery charging charger amperage

Post by California Dreamin »

Sort of...in theory at least. However, the reality is that your battery should never be allowed to go fully flat as this kills them very quickly.
Also, modern charges don't just blindly give their full rating, most start with a 'bulk' charge delivery (initially the full rating of the charger) but then will quickly tail off to a fraction of their rating..1.5 - 2 amps and fall even lower for the last few hours, perhaps less than 1 amp.

Just buy a 'smart' stepped charger and leave it to the electronics to condition the battery and give the optimum charge regime. These smart charges can be left connected for several days without fear of overcharging, as they automatically switch to a 'floating charge' state when the battery is fully charged.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

yetihair

Post by yetihair »

I thought that was probably the case.
I wouldn't normally let the battery go flat, but the vans been in the garage for a week and a bit and they haven't isolated the battery with the isolation switch. I guess I have a little drain somewhere but finding that has never been a priority yet.
So the battery is flat dead and on charge when I'm in the house and not sleeping (the wife isn't keen to leave it on charge, fair enough I think). I'm not best pleased it's ended up completely dead as it's a brand new battery. I hope I haven't done it any damage.

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

yetihair wrote:I wouldn't normally let the battery go flat, but the vans been in the garage for a week and a bit and they haven't isolated the battery with the isolation switch. I guess I have a little drain somewhere but finding that has never been a priority yet.
If it's flattened your battery in a week, that's not a "little drain". That's something you want to be investigating.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

yetihair wrote:I thought that was probably the case.
I wouldn't normally let the battery go flat, but the vans been in the garage for a week and a bit and they haven't isolated the battery with the isolation switch. I guess I have a little drain somewhere but finding that has never been a priority yet.
So the battery is flat dead and on charge when I'm in the house and not sleeping (the wife isn't keen to leave it on charge, fair enough I think). I'm not best pleased it's ended up completely dead as it's a brand new battery. I hope I haven't done it any damage.

As Adrian says ^^^^ that sort of drain needs investigating.

As for worries over charging in the house...if all you have is a 6 amp charger, then the activity created by this relatively low output unit charging a 72ah battery, won't be making the cells that gaseous. Obviously, there are precautions ie: stand on a couple of old newspapers and in a fairly well ventilated area.....turn the charger on/off at the wall socket (turn off the charger before disconnecting).

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

yetihair

Post by yetihair »

I think I know what the drain is. Whilst lying in the r&r bed the first and only time I noticed a faint glow from one of the led modded courtesy lights. I think there might be a shortage in the switch. Thanks for the input guys