1.9dg petrol want to move battery to engine bay

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JamesT25
80-90 Mem No: 6288

1.9dg petrol want to move battery to engine bay

Post by JamesT25 »

Hello all,

I would like to move my main (and only) battery to the engine bay as having it under my driver seat isnt Ideal and there is plenty of room in the engine bay.

I plan to route a new starter cable from the new location to the starter, new cable for charging and then finally one new cable to go from the rear of the bus all the way to the fuse box at the front

has anyone else done this and have any advice? is there a specific battery tray for the rear or just use a generic one to do this?

Any help would be appreciated

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: 1.9dg petrol want to move battery to engine bay

Post by itchyfeet »

interested to know where you found plenty of room, I guess near the coil?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Woodyyellow
80-90 Mem No: 11769

Post by Woodyyellow »

Mine was in the engine bay, in the left hand side, when I bought the van. Was one of the first things I did was to move it back to where it should! Much easier to check and maintain. Fortunately the person who moved it re used the original wires so to move was easy. Personally I would not move it back there!
1987 1.9 WBX DG Hi-Top. Soon to be Subaru ej20

I'm an old guy but I still learn new stuff!

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Have to disagree too. I'd say rear of seat is not ideal but still better than in the back. Its at a height you can get at easily. Just fit quick-release clamps. Makes it breeze to pull it out if it needs a boost or to get at if you need a jump start - or to jump start anyone else. The same cannot be said for putting it in the engine bay. I can see where you're coming from as it would give a little extra storage inside for tools etc (and considered it myself for a while) but I concluded that any minor gain was offset by the access problem and additional costs in rewiring.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.